Update Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 to Official CM10 Beta Build of Jelly Bean 4.1
The CM10 Jelly Bean project is in its first phase of testing and ‘codeworkx’, an XDA Elite Recognized Developer, managed to create a working build of the latest CyanogenMod release for Galaxy S2 I9100. This update is easy to install and you should only install it if you’re interested in testing the new Jelly Bean OS and its Google Now, Project Butter, smart keyboard etc.
Install this CM10 Jelly Bean Preview build only after you will create a full backup of the currently installed Android ROM. This is an alpha release of CyanogenMod 10 and it might pack some bugs and errors and you shouldn’t expect it to run without problems. Also, you will need for your Galaxy S2 to have the CWM Recovery image installed as otherwise you won’t be able to flash this new ROM.
Before you begin to install this new preview build of CM10 Jelly Bean you should read the preparation guide where you will that you need to backup the data currently stored on your phone and what you need to do and what settings to change in your phone so that you will manage to apply the tutorial steps only once. Here’s what you need to know and what actions you need to take and install CM10 Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean Preview ROM on your smartphone:
- install the CyanogenMod 10 preview build only on the Samsung Galaxy S2 with the model number I9100. For other Galaxy S2 variants you should check the ‘Update’ section and you will find numerous other devices. Do not attempt to install this ROM on the I9100G as it won’t work and you might brick it.
- the tutorial will tell you to apply the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ step in CWM Recovery and this means that you should move all important files on your device’s internal or external sdcard. The factory reset will delete all installed apps and some other files that are stored on your phone, except for the contents of the SD card.
- if you wish to save the installed apps, SMS, Call Logs and the APN Settings you should use the following Android tools: AppBAK for Android apps backups | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- the phone Contacts should be synced with your Gmail account and after the update is complete and you set the Google account all the contacts will be restored.
- since this new CM10 preview ROM is an early release you should create a full backup of the Android OS that is currently installed on your device.
- the Galaxy S I9100 that you’re about to update should be rooted and CWM Recovery image has to be installed on it.
- Enable the USB debugging option.
- Charge the phone’s battery so that it won’t power off before completing the installation of CM10 alpha preview Jelly Bean firmware.
- Note that this guide is for advanced users and you should use this preview Jelly Bean ROM for I9100 only for testing purposes.
- Do not blame us in case you brick the device or for any bugs or problems it might have after you update the phone. You’re installing this ROM at your own risk and that is why you should use ROM Manager or CWM Recovery to create a full backup of the currently installed ROM.
Now that you know all of the above you should move to the tutorial guide and install this new preview build of CM10 Jelly Bean on your device. Make sure that you don’t skip any steps listed and remember to tell us in comments if the new ROM has errors or bugs or any other problems. Also, use the comments section to ask any extra questions you might have regarding Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean, CyanogenMod 10, Root, CWM Recovery etc.
Install CM10 Jelly Bean Preview build on Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100
- Download the preview build ROM of CyanogenMod 10 from HERE. Save it on your computer.
- Download the Kernel zip file from HERE. You need to install this for the ROM to work.
- Download the Google Apps zip for Galaxy S2 I9100 Jelly Bean from HERE. Save it on your PC as this file will need to be installed after the ROM and it will bring the Google Now, Play Store, Gtalk, Gmail and other apps.
- Connect the phone to your PC and move the files downloaded above on your device’s internal SD card. This one part of your I9100 won’t be deleted when you reach the ‘factory reset’ step. After the transfer is complete you should unplug the device from your PC and then Power it OFF.
- Boot into CWM Recovery. Do it by pressing ‘volume up’ + ‘home’ + ‘power’ buttons simultaneously. Release the buttons only when the screen powers ON. Now, your device will load the ClockworkMod Recovery menu and you should move to the next step.
- When in CWM Recovery mode, first thing that you need to do is to select the option that says ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm this action and now all the data will be removed. Do not worry as the internal and the external sd card won’t be wiped off.
- Now select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and from the next menu select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM10 Preview ROM zip file and confirm its installation.
- Next, install the Kernel zip file just like you did with the ROM zip file.
- Repeat step 6 and you will install the GApps zip package. After the Gapps is installed you should open ‘advanced’ option and then select ‘fix permissions’.
- When the GApps, kernel and ROM zip files were successfully installed you will need to return to the main recovery menu. Select ‘reboot system now’.’
- Your Galaxy S2 I9100 will now start its first boot into CM10 Preview Jelly Bean build ROM and you will have to wait at least 10 minutes for this process to complete.
- When the first boot is complete you should be taken to the first screen of Jelly Bean and now you will need to enter your Google Account details and take control over your I9100 once again. Remember to restore all your apps and all the other backups you created before installing the new ROM.
- That is all, now you should test the CM10 preview build and see which is your new favorite Jelly Bean feature.
If the first boot process takes over 15 minutes to load or in case your device’s gets into a boot loop, it means that the I9100 phone was bricked in the process and you will have to repeat the entire tutorial guide once again. Make sure that the second time you attempt to flash the ROM you will apply the step 5 as without that step you won’t be able to install any new ROMs. Also, note that in case you’ll try to flash any new releases of CM10 for Galaxy S2 I9100 then you will be able to update without the need of factory reset.
For any other questions please use the comments section and we will get back to you with helpful instructions.