How to Install Official CyanogenMod 9 ICS 4.0.3 Firmware on LG Optimus LTE P930
The Optimus LTE P930 can now be updated to Android 4.0.3 ICS thanks to the CyanogenMod team, who have finally released its custom ROM for LG’s first HD display LTE smartphone. This is coming shortly after the nightly built of CyanogenMod 9 was officially made available, so you have nothing to worry about as the firmware will work perfectly on your device. All you have to do is to get and flash the same into your phone’s system so that you can enjoy the Ice Cream Sandwich experience on your own LTE handset.
The LG Optimus LTE P930 is a new smartphone that has been recently released on the market, though it’s not yet available worldwide. Anyway, you can get it from Canada through Bell Mobility, or from US from AT&T and Verizon; in the US the phone is also named LG Nitro HD (AT&T) and LG Spectrum (Verizon). This smartphone was highly expected and rumored, being world’s first HD display LTE smartphone. The capabilities are also impressive, so we finally have a good device coming from LG (the company was focused in providing several mid-range, budget friendly smartphones).
From the P930 specs we have to mention the 1.5 GHz dual core processor, the 8 MP rear facing camera, the large 4.5 inch true HD IPS display, its 1 GB of RAM memory and the 10 GB of internal storage memory. The OS that comes preinstalled is Android’s Gingerbread, though ICS was expected. As you can see the phone is really interesting, well, beside its OS. But, now you can change this by learning how to install the official CyanogenMod 9 ICS 4.0.3 firmware into its system.
In this way you will be able to improve the phone’s performances, customize and optimize the OS, gain more speed, improve the battery life and its looks. Not to mention the features which will be added once you flash the custom ROM. There are many reasons for completing this operation, but let’s take a look over the ones that are not so pleasant.
First, the present update isn’t coming straight from LG and it has nothing to do with the already mentioned company. Furthermore, there are no words or even rumors about an official OS update, so if you just can’t wait, this is all you get. Installing CyanogenMod 9 is the only way in which you can get the ICS on your Optimus LTE P930. But, once you do that, the LG warranty will be void; this means that in case you manage to do something wrong on your device, then you will be on your own. If you are not comfortable with this aspect maybe it will be a good idea to stop here.
Now, in order to make it through, you need to have access to a Windows / Linux / MAC running computer, to you phone and to its USB cord. You must prepare the PC and the handset as showed below:
- Applying the update can erase the data stored on your smartphone. As you can tell, for avoiding this you must complete a backup procedure. You can take advantage of some services and tools available on Google Play; use the SMS Backup + by Jan Berkel app for saving the SMS / MMS messages, the android cloud for the contacts and calendar, the Astro File Manager for the Market apps and the SD card, or the PC for any other data stored on your smartphone. Or just take a look over here: download SMS backup and restore apps for Android.
- Charge the phone before starting the update. Or make sure there is enough power left (60-70%).
- Firewall, antivirus, or any other tools that protects your computer and phone should be deactivated.
- The handset must be rooted; if not go and root your LG LTE P930 phone first.
- Enable the USB Debugging from your device. “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”. You can enable USB Debugging only when the handset is disconnected from the computer.
You can now proceed to the next section of this step by step guide. Read carefully and follow my directions.
How to Update the LG LTE P930 by Installing CyanogenMod 9 ICS 4.0.3 Firmware
- First of all, you must get the tools needed. So, download the CyanogenMod 9 file from here and the Google Apps from here and place the same to your computer.
- Connect the phone with the PC by using its USB cord.
- Copy the files downloaded in step 1 from the computer to your handset’s SD card.
- Disconnect the handset by removing the USB cable.
- Turn it off.
- Reboot it by entering in recovery mode.
- In the recovery mode menu, you need to select “install zip from sd card” followed by “Choose zip from sd card”; the file should be right there, just pick it.
- Now the installation process should begin. Don’t worry; the procedure will take a couple of minutes. In the end you will back on the recovery mode menu.
- Now, you must choose “+++ go back +++” and “reboot system now”.