The Galaxy SL I9003 United Arab Emirates and Pakistan users can now be enthusiastic as Samsung released the official Gingerbread 2.3.4 OS update for their handsets. It’s good to see that Samsung is taking care of its Arabic customers as well as for the ones located in Europe or US, providing upgrades for the Android based operating system, though the ICS is out of the question.
That if you expect an official firmware, because the un-official ones are being provided, by different developers, day by day. Anyway, the step by step tutorial in which you can learn how to install the Gingerbread 2.3.4 Arabic Update on Samsung Galaxy SL I9003 is explained below, so go and check it out.
The Galaxy SL was first made available last year on February. The phone is a mid-range one, with decent but not high end specs, being suitable for an entry level user. But, with this OS update you can improve its performances thanks to the features and capabilities added. Also, being the official version, it is coming straight from Samsung, meaning that it is 100% safe for your device. You just need to know how to install it and that’s all. The operation will only take a few minutes from your time, so you should be back on track in the shortest time possible.
This Gingerbread 2.3.4 version firmware is in fact named JPKPH and it is designed especially for the Arabic Samsung Galaxy SL I9003, therefore don’t try to install it on a different device, because you might damage its internal system. On the other hand, the update will not make you void the Samsung warranty (due to the fact that it is the official release), so don’t worry about anything.
The only negative aspect, if we can call it so, is referring to the rooted I9003 smartphones. If your device is already rooted then after applying this firmware, the rooting access will be revoked. That means that you will need to root it again, by following a guide that now suits its new version of software.
Now, let’s take a look over the enhancements from this JPKPH Firmware; first, as already stated it features Arabic support. Then, the battery life has been improved for providing longer time without charging, the Android Market can be directly upgraded to Google PLAY, which by the way, it’s working perfectly even for slower data speed, the force close errors were resolved and the extra heat that might damage your phone from after full charge was also solved.
Before we begin the proper how to guide, you must complete some preparation tasks. During the procedure you need to use a Windows / Linux / Mac running computer, the phone and its USB cord. The PC and the phone must be prepared as in the following:
- Make sure you deactivate all the security tools (including antivirus) from the computer and from your Galaxy SL. These programs can interfere with the operation you want to complete.
- Check the battery power left; if it’s lower than 60% you should charge the phone first.
- It is a good idea to somehow save your personal info which is stored on your device or on its SD card. Of course you can do this by backing up its data and apps. For performing a safe backup you can use these apps from the Android Market: the SMS Backup + by Jan Berkel , the android cloud, the Astro File Manager, or the PC for any other data stored on your device. If not you can always take a look over our guides as we have something on this topic too.
Finally, you can go to the next section of the present tutorial; make sure you read all the lines and follow my directions, as explained during the steps:
How to update the Samsung Galaxy SL I9003 with the official Gingerbread 2.3.4 firmware
- First of all download the Arabic Package from here and the Odin tool from here and place them to your computer.
- Extract the files on the computer.
- On the PC open Odin.
- Disconnect the phone (if connected) from the PC.
- Turn off the handset.
- Reboot it by entering in download mode. This can be achieved by holding down, simultaneously, the Volume Down Key and the OK button while pressing the Power button.
- Then, connect the device with the computer by using the USB cord.
- On the computer you should see the “ID : COM” section, from Odin, turning yellow.
- Next, click on the option named “PDA”; select the file named “I9003JPKPH_I9003OJPKPC_I9003JXKP3_HOME.tar.md5” (it is one of the files extracted in step 2).
- Now click on “Start”. The update operation will begin.
- When finished, the Galaxy SL will reboot by its own.
- Disconnect it from the PC by removing the USB cable and turn it off.
- Reboot it by entering in recovery mode. You can do this by holding down, simultaneously, the Volume Down Key and the OK button while pressing the Power one.
- In the recovery mode menu select “Wipe data/factory reset” (that’s why you need to do a backup) followed by “Wipe Cache partition” (this will erase the cache from the phone).
- Finally, choose “reboot system now”.
- That’s it.
There you have it; that was the how to procedure in which you can install the official Gingerbread 2.3.4 Arabic Update on the Samsung Galaxy SL I9003. If somehow, something went wrong, or if you can’t complete one of the steps, share the issues with us and we will do all that we can in order to help you through.