Manually Install Official JB 4.2.2 UBUAMG2 Firmware on Galaxy S4 Mini I9190
The Galaxy S4 Mini users can install a new update on their devices and even though it is not Android 4.3, the latest stock UBUAMG2 JB 4.2.2 firmware comes to add some new features, apps, capabilities and bug fixes to the previous version of the Android system that is currently running on the S4 Mini I9190. Considering that the OTA release of Android 4.2.2 UBUAMG2 OS is being available in limited markets only, probably you will want to manually update your Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini with the same. Well, if that’s true, then use this step by step guide which will easily take you through the flashing procedure.
JB 4.2.2 UBUAMG2 has been OTA rolled out by Samsung for the Galaxy S4 Mini I9190 in Brazil, while the same firmware is available via KIES in Mexico and Jamaica. So, if you are outside the mentioned borders, if you haven’t received the notification until now and you just can’t wait for the same, if your phone is rooted, or if you need a manual alternative, use this installation procedure. The guidelines from below will teach you how to manually apply the UBUAMG2 on the I9190 model of the Galaxy S4 Mini.
Again, this is not Android 4.3 and not a custom ROM based on the mentioned firmware. We are dealing with an official software that will install the stock and default, though latest, Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS on your S4 Mini. The ROM is dubbed as UBUAMG2 and represents a small update that comes only with bug fixes for providing a more stable variant of the Android platform. Anyhow, the best will be to apply the update as in this way you can stay in touch with all that’s new for your device.
Considering the up mentioned lines, here is what we can conclude so far:
- Since we have the official update and since we are talking about a Samsung branded handset, for manually applying the same Odin will be used.
- Root access isn’t required, though if you do have a rooted S4 Mini after completing this guide the root access will be revoked.
- Installing an official firmware will restore the default Android features, restrictions and looks; therefore if your S4 Mini is running a custom ROM, now you will be able to restore the warranty (the warranty usually gets void when you gain root access, or unlock the bootloader).
- A custom recovery isn’t required as Odin will the only environment to use when flashing JB 4.2.2 UBUAMG2 software.
Good, now you know almost everything related with the process that’s explained below. But, as usual when dealing with manual update operations there are still some pre requisites left. By applying the same you can easily prepare your handset for the installation process that will follow and you can also ensure that the unpleasant situations are being avoided. So, let’s see which the pre requisites are:
- You need to access and use a Windows powered computer or notebook since Odin can be installed only on Windows.
- You will have to manually download the JB 4.2.2 UBUAMG2 firmware so deactivate the security protection that is running on your computer.
- Your Galaxy S4 Mini needs to be charged; at least make sure that it has more than 60% power left.
- The SGS4 Mini I9190 drivers must be installed on the computer you will install and use Odin. So, if you haven’t installed the drivers until now, go and apply the same – use Samsung KIES if you don’t know from where to get the drivers.
- Go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and enable the USB debugging option on your phone.
- Complete this tutorial only if you want to manually install the Android UBUAMG2 update on the Galaxy S4 Mini model number I9190; since the firmware has been released only for the mentioned phone, this guide is suitable only with the same.
Don’t forget to backup your data, personal info and accounts and everything else that’s important for you. Save only the data that’s placed or installed on the internal storage of your S4 Mini though as the SD card is safe land. You need to backup the data because in some cases users reported that the personal info has been wiped out or corrupted. So, avoid the unpleasant situations by taking care of this aspect. Then return here and resume the guidelines from below.
How to Manually Install Official JB 4.2.2 UBUAMG2 Firmware on Galaxy S4 Mini I9190
- Get the firmware file from here.
- Save it on your computer and then unzip it on desktop.
- Download Odin.
- Unzip, install and launch the program on your computer.
- Boot your handset into download mode.
- For download mode press and hold Volume down, home and power buttons at the same time after turning off your smartphone.
- Connect the device with the computer.
- Once the connection established, Odin should display the “added” message and the ID:COM section which should be yellow or blue.
- If something isn’t working as explained, try to resolve the problems by re-installing the drivers on your computer; do that and then repeat the steps from above.
- From Odin the next thing to do is to select “pda”.
- Then, you can select / pick the update file; do that.
- Press the “start” button from Odin and wait while the software is being flashed.
- In the end (when the “pass” message will be displayed on Odin and when the ID:COM section will turn green) unplug the USB cable and reboot your S4 Mini.
Congratulations, you have manually updated your Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini with official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean UBUAMG2 software. So, we are done for now; if you have experienced problems during the update operation explained above, try to resolve the issues by following the next lines:
- If your handset gets stuck in a boot loop: reboot your phone in recovery mode (use the link for learning how to do that) and from there select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”; then return to main menu of recovery and select the “reboot system now” option.
- If Odin gets stuck: close the program and disconnect your phone from computer. You need to force restart your S4 Mini, while on the computer you need to reinstall the phone’s drivers. Run Odin once more, boot your handset into download mode and follow the update operation from above.
Good, that was all for today; stay close for further step by step guide and Android related tips and tricks.