Install Official Jelly Bean 4.1.1 XXDLG4 Leaked Firmware on Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300
SamMobile.com leaked an official release of Jelly Bean 4.1.1 for Galaxy S3 and now you can use the instructions listed in this article and learn how to successfully flash it on your device. This release is a test version and it might still pack bugs and errors.
Install this experimental release by Samsung only if you’re and advanced Android user and you want to test the new Jelly Bean 4.1.1 with XXDLG4 firmware and you should install it at your own risk. Also, if you wish to flash this ROM, it means that your device has to be running an original ROM and not a custom one as that will brick the phone. The build date of XXDLG4 firmware is 31 July 2012. This won’t be the final Jelly Bean release for SGS3 and you should backup all the files that are currently stored on your device.
Before moving to the tutorial, you should read the instructions below so that you’ll learn how to correctly configure your computer and your smartphone for the updating process. Here’s what you need to do:
- install this XXDLG4 firmware Jelly Bean 4.1.1 only on the Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300. Do not attempt to install it on any any other smartphones as you will end up bricking your device.
- install this update only over original ROM and not over custom ROMs. The XXBLG6 firmware is the original ROM that should be installed on your device; install it and after that flash the new leaked XXDLG4 firmware.
- backup all your data files such as photos, videos, media etc. Move the files on your computer so that in case you lose data during the update, then you will be able to restore them from your PC using USB cable.
- it won’t change the Modem baseband.
- It is a test version of Jelly Bean 4.1.1.
- enable USB debugging option from your phone’s Android Development menu.
- This update will wipe the internal sdcard and we strongly advise you to backup all the contents contained on it.
- Make sure that your computer has the latest Samsung USB drivers. If yours doesn’t have them then use the following links to download and install them on your PC: Samsung USB drivers for Windows 32-bit x86 | Samsung USB drivers for Windows 64-bit x64.
- You’re install this update at your own risk. Don’t blame us in case your device gets bricked and you won’t be able to use after the update. We don’t know if this test release features the flash brick bug and we advise you to install it only if you’re an advanced Android user.
Now that you’ve read all of the above, you are free to move to the tutorial. Read all the steps and make sure that you don’t skip any of them. If you cannot apply the update, you should ask for our help in comments.
Update Galaxy S3 to XXDLG4 Jelly Bean 4.1.1 Firmware
- Download the test XXDLG4 JB Firmware file from here.
- The file you downloaded is a zip and you should extract its contents. Save the files on your computer’s desktop screen. You should get a ‘.tar’ file extension and that’s the one you’ll install in the later of these updates. Move to the next step.
- Next, download the ODIN PC program from HERE. Extract its files on your PC and after that you have to power OFF the phone.
- Now boot the Galaxy S3 I9300 into Download mode. Do it by holding simultaneously ‘volume down’ + ‘home’ + ‘power’ until the screen powers on.
- Go to your PC and open the Odin folder. Launch the Odin 3.04 exe and wait for its main screen to load.
- Connect your phone to your PC using the USB cable. Odin will display the ‘Added’ alert and this means that all Samsung USB drivers are installed. If you’re told that the files weren’t added, then you should return to the prep guide and download / install them or, you can choose to switch between USB ports. If the phone was found, move to the next step.
- Now, in ODIN click ‘PDA’ button and browse for the XXDLG4 firmware .tar.md5 file you obtained at step 2. Load it into ODIN. Don’t change any options in ODIN. Also, make sure that the ‘Re-partition’ box isn’t checked.
- Click the ‘START’ button and now ODIN will begin the installation of XXDLG4 firmware for your SGS3. After the install is finished you will notice the ‘PASS’ alert displayed by ODIN and your device will restart.
- When the Samsung logo appears you can unplug the phone from PC. That should do it, now you can test the Jelly Bean firmware on your I9300 device.
In case the phone gets stuck in boot loop then you will be forced to apply some extra steps. These are listed below. Also, in case ODIN freezes then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again after you disconnect the phone from PC, close ODIN, remove the battery from the phone, re-insert it back on and boot into Download Mode. Repeat the tutorial.
If Odin didn’t get stuck and your device rebooted, but, it got stuck in a boot loop or it simply displays the boot animation only, then you will have to apply the steps listed below:
- Boot into custom recovery mode by holding simultaneously the ‘volume up’ + ‘home’ + ‘power’ buttons. Release the buttons when the recovery mode loads.
- Now you will have to select the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm.
- Now go to ‘wipe cache’ option and confirm this step.
- Return to the main recovery menu and select the ‘reboot system now’ option.
- Your phone will now reboot normally and you should be able to use all Jelly Bean 4.1.1 XXDLG4 Firmware on your I9300.
I think that these are all the steps that you needed to use and now you should start testing this new ROM. Make sure that you use the comments field and tells us how is the XXDLG4 test Jelly Bean firmware performing on your Galaxy S3 I9300.
UPDATE: If you wish to gain root access for this XXDLG4 firmware, please use the instructions listed in this post HERE.