Install Official Milestone 1 AOKP JB custom ROM on Verizon Galaxy Nexus LTE
Android Open Kang Project team has begun their work on the Jelly Bean ROM and their work it has already reached the 1st Milestone build, which provides their best and most stable AOKP JB OS. Use all info in this post and you’ll learn how to successfully flash all files on your smartphone without risking any damage.
The new AOKP JB Milestone 1 release is more stable than the previous builds, and it shouldn’t present any major bugs so that you will get the best experience without the need of changing kernel or any other files. There aren’t too many new features but you should still go ahead with the installation as this is the ROM all AOKP enthusiasts have been waiting for and AOKP really did a great job with it.
The guidelines below will help you flash this update without problems. Note that in case you’re already running a previous build of AOKP JB ROM, then you can skip the preparation guide as the actions below aren’t needed. You can ‘dirty flash’ the AOKP KB M1 custom ROM over any Verizon Galaxy Nexus LTE device that already runs AOKP JB build 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5. In case your device doesn’t feature such ROM, then you should read the guidelines below:
- The files listed in this post will work only with the Verizon Galaxy Nexus LTE smartphone. Don’t try to flash them on any other variant of Galaxy Nexus as that will brick it. Also, note that this is a guide that should be applied by advanced Android users.
- Your phone has to be on an unlocked bootloader, rooted and running a custom recovery image such as ClockworkMod Recovery. Without these you will not be able to flash the new ROM.
- For users that are performing a clean install it is recommended to create a NANDROID backup of the currently installed ROM. A file such as this ROM backup will be very helpful in case you cannot boot normally your device after installation of AOKP JB M1 ROM. Use ROM Manager, CWM Recovery mode, ROM Toolbox Lite or any other similar app in order to create such backup file.
- Save a list of installed apps, backup SMS, Call Logs and the APN Internet Settings values using the following Android utilities: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android. Some of these will ask for root access, which you should grant them.
- Sync your Gmail with Contacts so that you won’t the save phone numbers and contact details.
- Charge the Verizon Galaxy Nexus battery until it reaches at least 50% power level. This will prevent it from switching off during the updating process.
- This is a guide for advanced android users and you shouldn’t blame us in case something goes wrong and you’re unable to use your phone after flashing this custom ROM. You’re using CWM recovery and the custom ROM files at your own risk.
- In case you cannot complete the installation, tell us in comments and we will try to come up with a solution to your problems.
These were all the extra instructions you had to read, now you can move to the next part of this guide and learn how you can get the latest AOKP JB custom ROM on your smartphone fast and easy. Note that this update shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes.
How to install AOKP JB Milestone 1 ROM on Verizon Galaxy Nexus LTE:
- Download the custom ROM zip file from HERE. Save it on PC and do not unzip the files comprised within the package.
- Download Google apps zip for Jelly Bean 4.1 from HERE. Just like you did at step 1, save it on PC and don’t unzip.
- Connect the Verizon Gnex phone to computer using the USB data connection cable. Now move the files, the ones downloaded at the steps above, on your phone’s internal SDcard. After that you can unplug the phone from PC and power it off.
- Boot the CWM Recovery mode and then move to the next step.
- If you’re planning a clean install select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm. NOTE: In case your phone already runs on a previous version of AOKP JB nightly builds, then you can skip this step as the ‘factory reset’ action isn’t required.
- You need to select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and from the new screen of custom recovery select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the AOKP JB Milestone 1 zip and install it. Wait for this action to be completed and only when its done you can move to the next step.
- Select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and this time you need to flash the ‘Gapps JB’ file. After this one is installed, return to the main custom recovery screen.
- Since the ROM and Gapps files were installed, you should now select ‘reboot system now’.
- The Verizon Galaxy Nexus phone is now rebooting and this first boot with AOKP JB M1 ROM will take up to 5 minutes to complete. After that, the welcoming screen will appear and that’sit, you’ve successfully updated your phone.
These were all the steps that you had to take and now you can begin testing this new release by AOKP.
NOTE: If the first boot process takes too long to complete or in case the phone gets into a boot loop, then you will be forced to repeat the updating process again. But, this time make sure that you apply even step 5 and ‘factory reset’ the smartphone, which will force a clean installation (all the /system partition files will be removed), which is why you should’ve backed up your most important files before moving to the tutorial.
In case you cannot seem to get around this update, post a detailed comment with the actions you took and maybe we can come up with a solution so that you’ll manage to update your Verizon Galaxy Nexus to AOKP JB M1 ROM.