The OmniROM Nightlies are here and now you can successfully install such custom KitKat builds on your very own Nexus 4. Read this entire post and you should be able to complete the tutorial in no time without bricking your device.
This is a custom ROM that has been created by Xplodwild, Chainfire and Dees_troy. Other contributors are working on releasing official builds. More info can be found at the XDA thread here or at OmniROM’s web page here.
It is based on Android 4.4 AOSP and it features all the stock KitKat features and functions. It brings tons of extra things that will improve your overall KitKat experience.
The Google Nexus 4 has received its own Android 4.4 OTA Update, but users who want to test some custom ROMs are now able to do it using the OmniROM KitKat Nightly builds. The new ROM brings support for multi-window, multiple workspaces, non-obtrusive incoming call alert, flippable quick settings, DSP Managed enhancements, visual improvements added to the overall UI, per-app permissions control settings, etc.
There are tons of other tweaks and improvements added, some of them can be found only by thoroughly testing this brand new custom ROM. Before starting the installation of OmniROM, you will first have to take a look at the preparation guide below:
- Use this tutorial only with the Google Nexus 4 smartphone.
– the files you find here shouldn’t be flashed on any other devices.
- Your Google Nexus 4 has to be on an unlocked bootloader, rooted and running the latest CWM or TWRP Recovery image.
– both CWM and TWRP are working with this post, but you should make sure that you have installed the latest possible version.
- For the new ROM to install correctly you will need to apply the Factory Reset step.
– the ‘factory reset’ process wipes all data from the system partition, while leaving the internal storage unaffected.
– Factory Reset step shouldn’t be skipped, as otherwise your phone will not boot in normal mode with the new ROM.
> if you do decide to skip this step, then you should only do it in case you already run a previous OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightly build.
> if you skip the Factory Reset and the phone refuses to boot in normal mode with the new ROM, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again without skipping any steps in the process.
- Backup data from installed applications using the Helium tool — Google Play Store link here.
- Backup SMS and APN Internet Settings with these tools: SMS backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
– root access will be required for these apps.
- Sync your Contacts data with your Gmail account.
– guide here.
– this will prevent you from losing any important phone numbers or contacts info.
– note that for all Contacts data to be restored correctly, you will need to enter the same Google Account after the installation of OmniROM is complete.
- You need to create a full NANDROID ROM Backup for the currently OS that’s installed on your Nexus 4.
– this will create a restore point, one that can be used in case your device doesn’t boot in normal mode with the new ROM.
> don’t skip that step, as you can find it in the tutorial.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- This is a guide for advanced users, don’t skip any steps and make sure to read the entire post before starting the update.
- Note that we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone or lose any important data in the process.
- Check the phone’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%. This will prevent your phone from switching off in the middle of the installation process.
- If you cannot complete the guide at your first attempt, then you should keep trying or you can choose to ask for more help in comments.
OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightly is still in its development stages, which means that you might find some errors and bugs while testing it. That is why you will find the NANDROID Backup step in the tutorial, so that you’ll setup a restore point for your phone. Custom ROM installation is always tricky, so you should be extra careful not to forget to apply some of the steps listed below. In case that happens then you will be forced to repeat the tutorial.
Since you’ve gone past all of the above guidelines, then you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to flash the new KitKat custom ROM.
How to flash OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightly custom build for Nexus 4:
- Download the custom ROM zip from here.
– make sure to download the latest possible build file.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4 ROMs from here.
- Download SuperSU root zip file from here.
– this custom ROM doesn’t keep root, which is why you have to flash SuperSU after the ROM and Gapps files are installed.
- Connect your Nexus 4 with your computer, then move all three zip files to its internal storage.
– after the files are copied, disconnect the device from PC.
– don’t unzip the contents of the archived files.
- Power off your Nexus 4 completely.
- Now, boot it into Bootloader Mode, then choose Recovery and boot in custom Recovery Mode.
– remember that both CWM and TWRP Recovery will work with this post.
– guide here for those who don’t know how to boot custom Recovery.
- First you need to create a full NANDROID Backup of the installed ROM:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, name the file and then save it on your device’s internal storage.
– TWRP: press Backup, then rename the file and confirm the process by swiping the blue button.
> when done with the backup, continue to the next step.
- Now you have to apply the Factory Reset:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
– TWRP: press Wipe, then swipe the blue button to confirm the process.
> if you skip this step then your device might not boot in normal mode with the new ROM.
- Next, flash the new custom OmniROM KitKat for your Nexus 4:
– CWM: Select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the custom ROM zip file and confirm its installation.
– TWRP: press Install, then find the custom ROM zip. Swipe to confirm installation.
> don’t press any buttons until the process is complete.
- When the ROM is installed, select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option and flash the Gapps zip.
- After both the ROM and the Gapps files are installed, select once again ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Now you have to flash the SuperSU zip file.
- When all the files are installed, return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your phone now in normal mode.
– note that the first boot process takes a while to complete, which is why you should wait until the home screen appears.
– in case the device enters into a boot loop or it doesn’t complete the boot process after ten minutes of waiting, then you will need to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- If every single thing went according to plan, then you can simply enter your Google info when the home screen appears.
– take control over your device and start testing all of the new features.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to update your Nexus 4 with the latest build of OmniROM KitKat Nightly.
If you cannot complete the tutorial, then you should ask for more help in comments and we will try to come up with a viable solution for any problems you encountered. Make sure to leave a detailed comment.
NOTE: if you don’t like how OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightly works with your Nexus 4, then you can always restore it to its previous OS using the files created in step 7.
I hope that you did manage to install all files successfully. Remember that you can continue updating this OmniROM Android 4.4 with new builds.