The Official SlimKat builds are now available for download for the Galaxy S4 I9505. Use this post and learn how to successfully update your smartphone with a brand new KitKat AOSP 4.4.2 ROM. Note that this is a post for advanced Android users.
If you want to learn more about SlimROM’s work on releasing a full working SlimKat Android 4.4.2 build for your device, then you can take a look at their web page here. Before starting the installation you should take a look at the preparation guide below:
- Use this post only with the Galaxy S4 LTE model number I9505 – the Snapdragon 600 International variant.
- this post will not work with the US Galaxy S4 LTE versions nor with the Galaxy I9505 (Exynos) model.
- Your Galaxy S4 LTE has to be rooted and running the latest CWM Recovery image version.
- TWRP Recovery will also work, but we didn’t test it.
- whichever Custom Recovery you decide to use, you have to make sure that it is updated to its latest build.
- Don’t skip the step that tells you to create a NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM.
- it will set a restore point that might come in handy in the future.
- The tutorial also features the Factory Reset step, don’t skip it.
- this will help you apply a clean installation for the new ROM.
- Factory Reset wipes all data from system partition.
- Internal / External storage cards will not be affected by Factory Reset.
- Backup data from installed Android programs and SMS text messages with Helium tool — Guide here.
- Sync Contacts info with your Gmail account.
- info here for beginners.
- Check the phone’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, this will prevent the device from switching off in the middle of the installation process.
- Don’t blame us in case you brick the phone or lose any important data in the process.
- Read the entire post, don’t skip any steps.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- Developer Options might be hidden, so you should open Settings, More then go to About Phone, open it and press Build Number seven times.
- If you cannot complete the guide, then you can ask for more help in comments.
Since you’ve read all of the above, you can now continue to the next step.
How to flash SlimKat Official Nightly ROM for Galaxy S4 LTE:
- Download the ROM zip from here.
- make sure to download the latest build available.
- Download Gapps for this ROM from here.
- Connect the Galaxy S4 LTE I9505 to your PC, then move both zip files to your device’s internal storage.
- don’t unzip the contents.
- disconnect the phone from PC when all files are copied successfully.
- Power off your device now.
- Next, boot the phone in CWM / TWRP Recovery Mode.
- both will work with the guide, as long as you have the latest version installed.
- guide here if you don’t know how to boot recovery.
- Now you should create the NANDROID ROM Backup.
- select ‘backup and restore’, name the file and confirm process.
- Next, apply Factory Reset:
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm.
- also you should use the ‘format /system’ option too.
- Now you can flash the SlimKat 4.4.2 Weekly ROM build:
- select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- find the ROM file and confirm its installation.
- When the ROM is installed you need to repeat step 8 actions and flash Gapps zip.
- After you manage to complete installation for both files, then you can return to the first custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your phone now in normal mode.
> the first boot process will take at least five minutes to complete, which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons until the home screen appears.
- Use your Google account info and take control over your smartphone.
Now that the installation is complete you can start testing all the SlimKat features on your Galaxy S4 LTE International device. In case the first boot process takes more than ten minutes without loading the main home screen or, in case the phone enters into a boot loop, then it would be best for you to repeat the entire post more than once.
Ask for more help in comments in case you cannot complete the guide.