Those who had bought the latest device that wears Samsung’s mark, the high end Galaxy S 3 smartphone, are probably trying to test its performances in order to see what it is really capable of. We all know that the device is one of the most powerful handsets available (the specs and the features are more than appealing), so as you can tell, it can offer numerous advantages for its lucky users. But in order to take full advantage of your Samsung Galaxy S 3, you will first have to install a custom recovery image, such as Clockworkmod Recovery, into its system.
I have recently showed you how to use a one click tool for your S 3, which once installed, is giving you more access and control to the phone OS. The app can be used for gaining root access, for flashing a custom recovery image and for updating with a custom ROM, all in the same time. But what if you just want to install Clockworkmod Recovery and leave the rest of the up mentioned operations for another time? Well, in this case you should follow and complete the present step by step guide.
Furthermore, in order to help you with a more user friendly app, I will teach you how to install the Touch Clockworkmod Recovery version number 184.108.40.206, which is the official variant of the software. The tool was first flashed on a Galaxy S 3 device by those of xda-developers so we have them to thanks for this guide. The touch CWM is a different tool from the basic and default CWM, a user friendly interface and more features being added. With the touch version, you will not have to worry anymore about the hardware keys that have to be used in order to navigate through the recovery menu. So, from now on you will be able to apply, or perform operations a lot faster and also considerably easier than before.
You must learn how to install the official touch Clockworkmod Recovery if you want to update your Galaxy S 3 with custom ROMs, or with a beta firmware, as the tool is offering you the possibility of flashing files straight from the phone’s SD card. Also, with CWM, you will be able to make restoration and maintenance operations as well as ROM backups and restore processes. A factory reset option will also be available, so you have all the reasons for completing this tutorial. Don’t forget that the same will be required when trying to root the S3, which is another important task that you must perform in order to take advantage of your smartphone.
Be aware though, as by rooting you will make changes to the internal system meaning that the warranty will be void. Just be careful in what you do and always, no matter what you want to apply, follow a suitable step by step guide. The warranty can be restored by updating with an official OS firmware, or by relocking the bootloader. You can anytime perform one of the up mentioned operations by checking our previous tutorials; all the details needed are being explained there.
Now, let’s see which the pre requisites are; it’s important to read the list from below as I have mentioned important tips. Else, you can risk in losing personal info or even in bricking your Galaxy S 3.
- The first thing to do is a backup. Save all of your data, starting from contacts, messages, market apps, internet settings, calendar info, images, videos and so on. For a full and safe backup you can learn how to sync with Google and use the cloud, download text backup and restore apps for Android, suitable backup tools for saving call logs, and more. You can search through Android.gs for further backup guides.
- Then, apply this tutorial and install the Touch Clockworkmod Recovery only if you have the international version GT-i9300 of the Samsung Galaxy S 3 (Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile, US Cellular and any other Canadian Galaxy S3 versions are not supported).
- Charge the phone’s battery before starting the proper guide.
- Enable the USB debugging option from your smartphone’s settings.
- Deactivate all the security programs, such as Firewall or antivirus, from your PC and from your handset.
- Download the proper drivers for your Galaxy S 3 from here and install the same on your computer.
Those were the preparation tasks. Only now the fun begins as the proper step by step guide starts from here. Read all carefully and do all as explained. There shouldn’t be any issues in completing the tutorial as we will use Odin for installing touch CWM.
How to Install Official Touch Clockworkmod Recovery on Galaxy S3
- Download the CWM file from here and place it to your compter.
- Do the same for Odin.
- Extract the Odin file on your computer and install the app.
- Then run Odin.
- Turn off your phone.
- Then reboot and enter in download mode.
- Download mode can be reached by holding the Volume Down and Home buttons while powering on.
- Connect the S3 with the PC; use its USB cord.
- On Odin the “added” message should be displayed.
- If the “added message” isn’t displayed make sure you have installed the suitable drivers (read pre requisites list), or check if the USB debugging option is enabled. Then re-do the steps from above.
- Also, on Odin, the ID:COM option should be yellow.
- On Odin, select “PDA” and pick the file downloaded before: s3-touch-recovery.tar.
- Don’t make any other changes in Odin.
- Select “Start”.
- In the end, a “pass” message will be displayed.
- Also the S 3 will automatically reboot.
- You can now disconnect the device from the computer.
That was all for today. You now know how to install the Official Touch Clockworkmod Recovery on your Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone. You can look forward in root or flash a custom ROM as you have what it needs for performing the same. Do tell us how things worked or if there were issues during the main procedure. Also, if you had difficulties in understanding the steps share your thoughts (in the comments area from below) with us and we will try to help you out.