Samsung has launched the official OTA Update to Android 4.4.2 KitKat for the LTE Galaxy S4 I9505. Use this tutorial in order to learn how to successfully update your device manually without the need of waiting for the official OTA notification to be pushed.
Remember that this is a guide that it should be used by advanced Android users, so you won’t blame us in case you brick the phone in the process. This is only a tutorial guide on how to flash the Android 4.4.2 XXUFNB8 KitKat OTA Update for Galaxy S4 LTE I9505, so if you want to learn more about this release then you should read our news article here.
Before starting the updating process you should take a look at the guidelines below:
- use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE model number I9505.
– do not attempt to update any other smartphones with the files that you will find in this post.
– this guide doesn’t work with the US Versions of Galaxy S4 LTE.
– check the model number of your phone by opening the About Device menu and if it doesn’t list the ‘I9505′ code, then this guide is not destined to be used on your device.
- if you’re looking to update the Exynos CPU Model, the Galaxy S4 I9500 device, then you should use our other tutorial — here.
- download and install the Samsung USB Drivers from here.
- disable the antivirus applications from running on your computer.
- disable the Samsung KIES, as this app will surely block the ODIN app – that’s the app we will use to flash the official Android 4.4.2 KK for your Galaxy S4 LTE.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
– if Developer Options isn’t shown, then you need to make it visible by opening the About Device section, then tapping seven times on the Build Number text — the Developer Options menu will now show up in Settings.
- in case your Galaxy S4 has an external SD card in it, then you should remove it before installing the new ROM.
– this should be done so that you won’t risk losing any data files stored on your phone.
- NOTE: if your phone runs on a custom ROM, then you should know that the Android 4.4.2 XXUFNB8 OTA Update will delete all data.
– also you will get a stock Recovery image too.
– after installing this new ROM on a custom ROM you will end up with a phone that is 100% stock Samsung Android 4.4.2.
- if you want to backup data from installed apps then you can use Helium for Android — here.
- backup People details and Contacts data by syncing it with your default Gmail account — here.
- make sure that the battery charge level is over 50% before starting the update.
Since you’ve gone past all of the above guidelines you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to manually flash a brand new firmware file for your smartphone.
Install Official Android 4.4.2 XXUFNB8 KK OTA Update for Galaxy S4 LTE:
- Download the I9505XXUFNB8 OTA zip file from here or here or here.
- After the download is complete you should extract the zip contents. Save the .tar.md5 obtained file on your computer desktop screen.
- Next, download Odin3 v3.09 from here.
– extract the Odin zip contents to your PC.
- Make sure that your phone is powered off completely.
- Now, you need to boot the device in Android Download Mode.
– if you can’t boot Download Mode, then read this guide.
- Next, launch the Odin executable on your computer.
- Use the USB cable and connect your phone to your PC.
– wait for Odin to add your Galaxy S4 LTE I9505.
> if the device is not recognized, then you should try to re-install the Samsung USB Drivers.
> when everything is set you can continue to the next step.
- Go to Odin main menu and click the AP button.
- Load the I9505XXUFNB8 tar.md5 file in Odin.
– do not change any other default settings, just make sure that the Re-Partition box is unchecked.
- Now you can hit the START button for the updating process to complete.
– note that the installation might take some time before it completes the installation, so you shouldn’t press any buttons until Odin confirms that the process was passed.
- When the Galaxy S4 LTE I9505 is updated to Android 4.4.2 XXUFNB8 you will see the PASS text shown by ODIN.
– also, your phone will reboot.
- Disconnect the device from PC when the Samsung Galaxy S4 boot animation screen appears.
- Take control over your phone when the home screen appears and make sure that you test all the new KitKat features right away.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the installation of Android 4.4.2 Kitkat OTA Update on your Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 LTE.
If ODIN fails to update the phone, then you should try to repeat the entire guide more than once, but make sure that you won’t skip any steps.
If ODIN says that the new update was applied successfully, but the phone is unable to boot in normal mode, then you will have to use the Stock Recovery Mode and Factory Reset your Galaxy S4 LTE. This will force your smartphone to boot in normal mode, but all data stored on the system partition will be gone.
Here’s how to apply Factory Reset:
- power off your device completely right now by removing its battery.
– re-insert the battery after several seconds have passed by.
- boot your Galaxy S4 LTE in Android Recovery Mode.
– if you don’t know how to do it, then you can find more info here.
- when you’re at the main stock Recovery screen you need to select the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option.
- confirm the process and reboot the phone when it is complete.
- now your device will boot in normal mode.
- use your Google Account info in order to take control over your device once again.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully update your Galaxy S4 LTE I9505 to Android 4.4.2 XXUFNB8 firmware. For any other questions you should use the comments field below.