OMEGA KitKat 4.4.2 is now live for Galaxy S3 model number I9300 and you can use the instructions listed in this post if you want to update your smartphone. Read all info, don’t skip any steps and you should be able to complete the tutorial in under ten minutes.
More info about this ROM can be found at this XDA Thread here. This is a custom ROM based on Android 4.4.2 AOSP and AOKP builds. Before starting the installation you should take a look at the preparation guide below:
- Use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S3 model number I9300.
– do not attempt to update any other Galaxy S3 models with the files listed in the tutorial.
– installing a wrong custom ROM file on your phone will brick its firmware.
- Make sure that your device is rooted and running the latest CWM Recovery build.
– TWRP should also work with this post, but we didn’t manage to test it.
– whichever custom Recovery build you decide to use should be updated to its latest version.
- The tutorial tells you to create a full NANDROID ROM Backup for the installed OS, don’t skip this step.
– it will set a restore point for your device, one that you can use in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode or in case you simply don’t like how the OMEGA AOKP KitKat ROM works with your device.
- Also, a Factory Reset is required for your smartphone, a process that you shouldn’t skip.
– this will allow you to clean install the new ROM.
– Factory Reset wipes all data from system partition.
– the Factory Reset process doesn’t remove data from internal nor external storage.
- Backup data from installed apps and SMS text messages using the Helium tool – Guide here.
- Sync Contacts info with your Gmail account using the info listed here.
- Check the phone’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%. This will stop the device from switching off in the middle of the installation.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- Read the entire post, don’t skip any steps and make sure to ask for extra help in comments in case you need it.
- This guide is for advanced users and for those that want to tinker with their Galaxy S3 operating system.
- OMEGA AOKP Kitkat 4.4.2 is not an official update from Samsung, you’ll install it at your own risk, as we cannot be blamed in case something goes wrong.
Now that you’ve read all of the above you should continue to the next part of this post.
How to flash OMEGA AOKP KitKat custom ROM for Galaxy S3 I9300:
- Download the custom ROM zip from here.
- Download Gapps for this ROM from here.
- Connect your phone to your PC and then move both zip files to your device’s internal storage.
– disconnect the device from computer when the transfer is complete.
- Power off your phone now.
- Boot the device in CWM Recovery mode.
– if you don’t know how to boot recovery, then you should follow the info listed here.
- First you need to create the complete NANDROID ROM Backup:
– select ‘backup and restore’, then name the file and confirm process.
- Next, apply Factory Reset:
– select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm process.
- Finally, install the custom ROM zip:
– select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
– find the OMEGA AOKP Kitkat zip file and confirm its installation.
- When the ROM is installed you should repeat step 8 and flash Gapps file.
- After all files are installed you need to get back to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your Galaxy S3 I9300 in normal mode.
– this process will take several minutes to complete, which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons until it loads all the new OMEGA KitKat files.
- Use the Google account info in order to take full control over your SGS3 and start customizing its interface for a better KitKat experience.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the installation. For any other questions, use the comments field below.