The OmniROM Nightlies based on Android 4.4.2 are now available for the Verizon variant of Galaxy S4. Use this tutorial if you want to learn how to successfully update your smartphone.
OmniROM team continues their hard work on releasing a full working KitKat custom ROM for your Galaxy S4 Verizon device. In this release you will find tons of great features that have been designed by the OmniROM team. Also, you should notice that there are tons of other elements you previously saw on CyanogenMod, AOKP, Paranoid Android and on stock Android 4.4.2 AOSP builds.
This is not an official update by Verizon nor by Samsung, not even a stable build but you can use the OmniROM KitKat custom build in order to learn more about such new operating system versions and how your device works while running one. After the installation, the battery life of your device might fluctuate which is why you should power off the phone for several minutes after the process is complete. Boot in normal mode and then start testing all the new features.
More info about OmniROM and what it brings for your device can be found at the developer’s web page here. Read the guidelines below before starting the installation of this new ROM:
- use this post only with the Verizon variant of Galaxy S4 LTE.
- do not attempt to update any other devices with the files that you will find in the tutorial.
- your device has to be rooted and running the latest build of CWM Recovery image.
- the TWRP Recovery might work too, but we didn’t test it.
- whichever custom Recovery you decide to use, then you have to make sure that it is updated to the latest version.
- Do not skip the step that tells you to create a full NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM.
- it will set a restore point for your phone, one that can be used in case something goes wrong during the installation.
- Factory Reset is required, this step is listed in the tutorial and you shouldn’t skip it.
- factory reset wipes all data from the system partition, while leaving the internal and external storage unaffected.
- Backup data from installed apps, SMS text messages and APN Internet Settings using the following tools for Android: Helium link here.
- note that this application can be used with non-rooted device too.
- Sync Contacts info with your Gmail account.
- guide here for those that don’t know how to do it.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- Developer Options menu can be found in the Settings menu of your phone.
- This is a guide for advanced users, do not blame us in case you brick the phone or lose any important data in the process.
- Check the phone’s battery power level and make sure that it is over 50%, so that the phone won’t switch off while you’re flashing the OmniROM KitKat 4.4.2
- Read the entire post and don’t skip any steps that I’ve listed in the tutorial.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to successfully update your smartphone.
Use this tutorial below only in case you wish to tinker with your phone’s installed OS. Remember that this is not an official build, but a custom one that might feature some errors or bugs. With each new build released by Omni team you will get better and more table KitKat ROMs.
How to flash OmniROM Android 4.4.2 Nightlies for Verizon Galaxy S4:
- Download the latest build of OmniROM 4.4.2 Nightly from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4.2 from here.
- Connect your phone to your PC and then move both files to its internal storage.
- after the files are copied you need to disconnect the phone from PC.
> do not unzip the files.
- Power off your device now.
- Next, boot the phone in CWM Recovery mode.
- guide here if you don’t know how to do it.
- First thing that you need to do is to create a full NANDROID ROM Backup
- select ‘backup and restore’, name the file and save it on your device’s internal or external storage.
- Now you need to apply the Factory Reset:
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm the process.
- Next, install the custom ROM:
- select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- find the OmniROM 4.4.2 Nightly zip and install it.
> note that this process will take several minutes, so you shouldn’t press any buttons until it is complete.
- After the ROM is flashed you need to repeat step 8 actions and install Gapps zip.
- When you manage to install all files you can return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your phone now in normal mode.
> the first boot process takes a while to complete, don’t press any buttons until it loads all the new files.
- Enter your Google Account details when the home screen of OmniROM Android 4.4.2 appears.
- take control over your device now and start testing all of its new features.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully update your Samsung Galaxy S4 Verizon. I hope that you’ve managed to complete the tutorial without problems.
NOTE: if the first boot process takes too long to complete or in case the device enters into a boot loop, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- if you decide to repeat the guide, then you should make sure to apply ‘factory reset’.
- also it would be best for you to apply the ‘format /system’ option too.
Repeating a tutorial is not that hard, but you have to make sure that your phone meets all the requirements before installing any new custom ROMs. Do not skip any steps, retry flashing the files and since you’ve applied a NANDROID ROM Backup, then you will always know that you can repair the device in case something goes wrong. If you don’t like the OmniROM 4.4.2 KitKat Nightly build restore the phone to its previous OS.