Install OmniROM Android 4.4.2 Nightly for Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE
The OmniROM team has launched their own Android 4.4.2 Nightlies for the Sprint variant of Galaxy S4 LTE. Use this tutorial and you will learn how to successfully update your smartphone without bricking its firmware.
If you want to learn more about OmniROM and what it adds to your device, then you should take a look at its official web page here. This is a great alternative to stock Android 4.4.2 and one of the most popular KitKat custom ROMs besides Paranoid Android, CyanogenMod or AOKP. Follow all the info that I’ve listed in this post and the installation will go smoothly.
Before starting the flashing process of OmniROM Android 4.4.2 you should take a look at the preparation guide below:
- use this post only with the Sprint variant of Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE.
- don’t try to update any other smartphones with the files that you will find in this article, as you will end up bricking it.
- your Galaxy S4 Sprint has to be rooted and running a custom Recovery image.
- note that whichever custom Recovery you use, CWM or TWRP, then you have to make sure that it runs the latest update possible.
> both CWM and TWRP Recovery instructions are listed in this article so you should be able to complete the guide without problems.
- In the tutorial you’ll find the ‘create a NANDROID backup’ step, don’t skip it.
- this will set a restore point for your phone, one that can be used if the new ROM doesn’t boot or in case you simply don’t like how OmniROM runs on your Sprint Galaxy S4.
- A Factory Reset is required, it will help you apply a clean installation of OmniROM.
- Factory Reset wipes all data from your smartphone’s system partition.
- internal and external storage data will not be affected by the ‘factory reset’.
> don’t skip the Factory Reset step that’s listed in the tutorial, as the new ROM will not boot correctly.
- If you want to backup data from installed applications, then you should use the following tools for Android: Helium | SMS backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- root access will be needed for some of these tools, grant it.
- Save all the Contacts info with your Gmail account.
- if you don’t know how to do it, then you can find more info in this post here.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- if the Developer Options section is not listed, then you should go to About Phone: press seven times on the Build Number text to enable Developer mode.
- after you enable Developer Mode you can visit the menu in Settings and then check the box listed next to USB Debugging.
- Note that this is a tutorial for more advanced users to use, which means that we cannot be held responsible in case you brick the device or lose any important data in the process.
- Check your phone’s battery power and make sure that it is over 50%.
- If you cannot complete this guide, then you ask for more help in comments and we will try to come up with a solution.
Now that you know all of these guidelines, then you can continue to the next part of this post in order to learn how to successfully update your device with a brand new KitKat ROM.
Remember that this is not an official update released by Samsung nor Sprint, it is only a custom ROM that will allow you to test some of the latest KitKat features and others more on your device.
Update Sprint Galaxy S4 to Android 4.4.2 using OmniROM KitKat Nightlies:
- Download the custom ROM from here.
- make sure to grab the latest build available.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4.2 custom ROMs from here.
- Use the USB cable and connect your device to your PC.
- now you need to copy both the ROM and Gapps to your smartphone’s internal storage.
- make sure not to unzip the contents of the files.
- disconnect your Galaxy S4 Sprint from your computer after all files have been successfully transffered.
- Power off the phone now.
- Boot your Sprint Galaxy S4 in Custom Recovery now.
- if you don’t know how to boot recovery, then you can learn here.
> both CWM and TWRP are supported by this guide.
- Create a full NANDROID ROM Backup now:
- CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, name the file and then confirm the backup process.
- TWRP: press Backup, then rename the file and swipe to confirm backup.
> when the process is complete you can continue to the next step.
- Now you should apply the Factory Reset for your Sprint Galaxy S4:
- CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, then confirm.
- TWRP: press Wipe and swipe to confirm the process.
> do not press any buttons until the wipe is complete.
> do not skip this step.
- Next, install the OmniROM Android 4.4.2 Nightly zip:
- CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and find the ROM zip file.
- TWRP: press Install, then find the file and install.
> complete the installation and don’t press any buttons until then.
- Nou flash the Gapps zip too:
- use the same actions as in step 8 and confirm the process.
- After your manage to install both OmniROM 4.4.2 Nightly and Gapps zips you should return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your device in normal mode now.
- do not press any buttons until OmniROM doesn’t load all the new files.
- Enter your your Google info and take control over your device.
> make sure to test all the new features and functions, as well as customizing the entire UI for a richer KitKat experience.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully update your smartphone. In case you cannot complete the guide, then you will have to repeat the entire tutorial once again. Make sure to read the guide more than once and that you won’t skip any steps that I’ve listed in it.
If you decide to repeat the tutorial then you should make sure that you apply ‘Factory Reset’. Also, you should attempt to ‘format /system’ too. All these instructions should help you complete the guide without problems.
If you don’t like how the OmniROM Android 4.4.2 Nightly works with your device, then you need to know that you can restore your device to its previous OS using the file created in step 6. Use the same custom Recovery and simply click the Restore button in Recovery mode to get your Sprint Galaxy S4 to its previous state.