Install OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightlies for T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Galaxy Note 2 T-Mobile can now be upgraded to Android 4.4 using a new custom ROM called OmniROM. If you go past all the instructions that I’ve listed below, then you should be able to complete the installation without bricking your phone and without losing any important data files.
Nightlies builds are usually released on a daily basis and with each new version we will get better and more stable builds, so that you’ll get one of the best KitKat experience.
OmniROM packs the stock AOSP Android 4.4 ROM along with several new elements: support for multi-window, multi-workspace, per-app permissions control, flippable quick settings, non-obtrusive incoming call alert and others more. This ROM is still in its first stages of development which is why you shouldn’t install it without creating a full NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM.
Read the guidelines below before starting the installation of OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightlies. Here’s what you need to know:
- For this tutorial to work you will need a T-Mobile Galaxy Note 2 device.
- don’t attempt to update any other Android phone using the files listed in this post.
- Your phablet has to be rooted, factory unlocked and running a CWM Recovery image.
- without these you cannot complete the tutorial.
- Factory Reset is obviously required and you will need to apply it.
- this step can be found in the tutorial and you shouldn’t skip it.
- Factory Reset wipes data from system partition.
- this process won’t remove data from the internal or external storage.
- Backup data from installed applications using the Helium tool from Google Play Store here.
- Backup SMS and APN Internet Settings using the following Android small apps: SMS backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- root access will be required for these tools.
- Sync your People details and Contacts data with your default Gmail account.
- guide here for those of you who don’t know how to do it.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- In the tutorial part of this post you’ll find a step that tells you to create a full NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM.
- this process will set a restore point for your device, one that you can use in case the new ROM doesn’t install successfully.
- Make sure that the phone’s battery charge levels are over 50%, so that it won’t switch off in the middle of the updating process.
- In case you cannot complete this guide, then it would be best for you to ask for extra help in comments.
Since you’ve read all of the above, now you can continue to the next part of this article and learn how to successfully update your smartphone with one of the latest KitKat custom ROMs.
How to flash OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightlies for T-Mobile Galaxy Note 2:
- Download this custom ROM from here.
- make sure to get the latest version available.
- Download the Gapps for Android 4.4 custom ROMs from here.
- Connect your smartphone with your PC, then move both zip files to your smartphone’s internal storage.
- disconnect the device from your computer after the files are copied successfully.
- do not unzip the files.
- Power off the device now.
- Boot your phone in CWM Recovery Mode:
- select ‘backup and restore’, name the file and then confirm the process.
- continue to the next step when done.
- Now you have to apply a Factory Reset for your device:
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm the process.
> do not skip this step, unless you already run a previous OmniROM KitKat Nightly official build.
> note that in case the new phone doesn’t boot in normal mode and you’ve skipped this step, then you will be forced to repeat the tutorial.
- Finally, flash the OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightly:
- select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and find the custom ROM zip.
- confirm the installation.
- When the ROM is installed you should select once again ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Install the Gapps zip too.
- After both OmniROM and Gapps zip files are flashed with success you will have to return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait until all the new files are successfully loaded in normal mode.
- note that the first boot process takes several minutes to load all the new files, which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons until it is complete.
- Enter your Google Account details in order to take control over your device.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully update your device with this brand new Android 4.4 custom ROM.
NOTE: In case the OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightly custom ROM takes too long to complete or the device enters into a boot loop, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again. In case you do choose to repeat the tutorial, then you have to make sure that no steps are skipped in the process.
For any other questions use the comments field below. Also, if you don’t like the new ROM or you think that your device is not running as smooth as you would expect it to run, then you need to know that the NANDROID ROM Backup file created in step 6 can be restore using the same custom Recovery Mode.