Install OmniROM KitKat 4.4.2 Nightlies for T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4
OmniROM has launched their Nightly builds for the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4. Read this entire post and you should be able to complete the tutorial without problems in under five minutes.
OmniROM brings their own features to Android 4.4.2 AOSP and the result is a great and stable custom KitKat ROM that will improve your Galaxy S4 experience. Learn more about OmniROM by visiting the developing team’s blog page here.
This custom ROM is fully based on the latest KitKat build, but you should also know that it is still in its first stages of development which is why you shouldn’t install it without creating a full NANDROID ROM Backup for the installed OS. This step is listed in the guidelines and in the tutorial, too, so you won’t miss nor forget to apply it. Such backup can be used in case the new ROM doesn’t boot correctly or in case you find way too many errors while testing it.
Before starting the installation process you should first take a look at the guidelines below:
- Use this post only with the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4.
- do not attempt to flash the files you find here on any other Android devices, as you will brick the firmware.
- The Galaxy S4 T-Mobile that you’re about to update has to be rooted and running the latest build of CWM or TWRP Recovery.
- this post has been tested with CWM Recovery, while TWRP should work by applying the corresponding actions listed in the tutorial.
- You have to create a full NANDROID ROM Backup for the installed OS before flashing the OmniROM zip.
- this process will set a restore point for your device, one that you can use in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode or, in case you simply don’t like the ROM.
- this step is listed in the tutorial so you shouldn’t miss it.
- Remember that you also have to apply a Factory Reset.
- this will wipe all files from the system partition.
- internal / external storage won’t be affected by this tutorial.
- this step is listed in the tutorial.
- Backup data from installed apps, SMS text messages and APN Internet Settings using the following tools for Android: Helium | SMS backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- root access is needed for these apps.
- Sync your Contacts info with your Gmail account using the info listed here.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- Check the phone’s battery charge and make sure that it is over 50%, this will make sure that your device won’t switch off in the middle of the updating process.
- This guide is for advanced users, do not try to flash any custom ROMs in case you don’t know what you’re doing.
- Read the entire post and don’t skip any steps.
- For any extra help use the comments field.
- Do not blame us in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
Since you’ve read all of the above you can now continue to the next part of this article. This is not an official OTA Update for SGS4 but a custom ROM that has been compiled together by a creative team of developers.
The new ROM should work without problems, but make sure to report any errors and bugs that you might find while testing the build.
How to flash OmniROM KitKat 4.4.2 Nightly for T-Mobile Galaxy S4:
- Download the latest build from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4.2 ROMs from here.
- Connect the TMO Galaxy S4 to your PC. Move both zip files to its internal storage.
- do not unzip the files.
- disconnect the phone from computer when both files are copied successfully.
- Power off your Galaxy S4 now, then boot it in Custom Recovery Mode.
- recovery can be booted easily, but if you don’t know how to do it, then you check the info listed here.
- Create a full NANDROID Backup of the installed ROM:
- select ‘backup and restore’, name the file and confirm the process.
- Next, apply a Factory Reset:
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm.
- Install the ROM:
- select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- find the OmniROM 4.4.2 Nightly and confirm its installation.
- Repeat step 7 actions after the ROM is installed and flash the Gapps zip.
- When the installation of both OmniROM and Gapps is finished you can return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your phone now in normal mode.
- note that this first boot process of OmniROM will take a while to complete.
- Enter your Google Account info when the home screen of the new ROM appears, then you can start testing all the new features.
I hope that you’ve managed to complete the installation using the info listed above. Now you should check all the cool stuff that the OmniROM developers have added to this new build.
In case the first boot of OmniROM KitKat 4.4.2 doesn’t complete after five minutes or the device enters into a boot loop, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again. Make sure that in case you decide to repeat the guide, then you won’t skip any steps that I’ve listed in this guide.
- make sure to apply the ‘factory reset’ step and then you can also choose to use the ‘format /system’ option too.
In case you don’t like the new ROM and you’ve created a full NANDROID backup of the previously installed OS, then you can choose to restore your smartphone using the same custom Recovery mode. I’m talking about the file created in step 5. If you cannot complete this tutorial or you’re finding it hard to understand some of the instructions above, then you can ask for more help in comments.