OmniROM Android 4.4.2 Nightly builds are now available for the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100. Use this tutorial and you will learn how to successfully update your smartphone with the latest KitKat custom ROM.
Remember that this is a guide for users who want to tinker with their smartphone’s interface. If you want to learn more about OmniROM team and their work on releasing one of the most popular Android 4.4.2 custom ROMs can be found at their web page here. In order to make sure that you will complete this guide at your first attempt you should first take a look at the preparation guide below:
- Use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100.
– this is the Exynos model, not the TI OMAP I9100G one (guide for I9100G here)
– don’t try to update any other devices with the files that you will find in this article, as you will end up bricking the device.
- Your smartphone has to be rooted and running the latest CWM or TWRP Recovery image.
– if the custom Recovery is not updated to its latest build, then you won’t be able to flash any KitKat custom ROMs.
- Create a full NANDROID ROM Backup for the installed Android OS, so that you will set a restore point for your smartphone.
– do not skip this step, as you won’t be able to fix your device in case the new ROM doesn’t boot correctly.
- Factory Reset is also required, this will delete all data from system partition, while the internal / external storage will not be affected by this tutorial.
– this step is listed in the tutorial too.
- Backup data from installed apps, SMS text messages and APN Internet Settings using the following tools for Android: Helium | SMS backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- Sync your Contacts info with your Gmail account.
– if you don’t know how to do it, then you can use the info listed here and learn.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- Check the phone’s battery power level and make sure that it is over 50%, so that the device won’t switch off in the middle of the installation process.
- Read the entire tutorial and make sure that you don’t skip any steps that I’ve listed in thi post.
- This is a post for advanced user, do not blame us in case something goes wrong and you lose any important data file or you end up bricking your device.
- If you cannot complete the guide, then it would be best for you to ask for extra help in comments.
These were all the guidelines that you had to go over before getting to the next part of this post. Learn how to successfully update your device with a brand new Android 4.4.2 custom ROM.
This ROM is not an official build by Samsung, but a custom ROM that has been designed by the OmniROM team. It is obviously based on AOSP Android 4.4.2, but it also borrows some elements from CyanogenMod, Paranoid Android and AOKP builds.
How to install OmniROM KitKat Nightly ROM for Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100:
- Download the latest OmniROM KitKat Nightly build from HERE.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4.2 from HERE.
- Connect your smartphone with your computer, then move both zip files to your device’s internal storage.
– disconnect the phone from PC when both files are copied with success.
> do not unzip the contents of these zip files.
- Power off your Galaxy S2.
- Boot the device in CWM / TWRP Recovery Mode:
– it can be done by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons, all at the same time.
- First you need to create a full NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, then name the file and confirm the process.
– TWRP: press Backup, set a name for the file and ‘swipe to create the backup file’.
- Next, apply the Factory Reset for your device:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm process.
– TWRP: press Wipe, swipe to apply Factory Reset.
- Now you can finally install the brand new OmniROM KitKat for your Galaxy S2:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’ — find the ROM zip file and confirm installation.
– TWRP: press Install, browse the internal storage for the ROM file. Swipe to confirm installation.
> don’t press any buttons until all files are flashed.
- After the ROM is installed you need to repeat step 8 actions and flash the Gapps zip.
- When the OmniROM KitKat and Gapps files are installed you can get back to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your smartphone now in normal mode.
> note that the OmniROM first boot process will take at least five minutes at the Samsung boot animation screen, which is why you should wait until it loads all files and boots the home screen.
- Enter your Google Account details and take control over your smartphone now.
– test all the new features and functions that were added by the OmniROM in this new KitKat Nightly build.
NOTE: If you lose root access after installing OmniROM, then you should flash the SuperSU file. Download it from here and flash it from custom Recovery Mode.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully manage to complete the installation of OmniROM Android 4.4.2 Nightly on your Galaxy S2 I9100. Since this new ROM is a KitKat version, then you should expect your device’s battery life to decrease, as the ROM requires much more power to run.
In case the first boot process takes more than ten minutes to complete or the phone enters into a boot loop, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again. Usually, custom ROMs might not install at the first attempt which is why you shouldn’t give up immediately when you hit a roadblock.
Make sure that in case you decide to repeat the entire tutorial, then you will make sure not to skip any steps that I’ve listed above. Apply the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ step. Additionally you can choose to apply the ‘forma /system’ option too.
If you don’t like this new ROM or your device works with it, then you can choose to restore the phone to its previous ROM using the file created in step 6. Use the same custom Recovery Mode to restore your device to its previous ROM.