Install Overdrive Android 4.2.1 custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250
Overdrive ROM is a custom release for Galaxy Nexus model number I9250 and you can use this tutorial to learn how to successfully flash it for your smartphone.
This custom ROM is based on Android 4.2.1 JOP40D firmware and it is completely rooted, deodexed and zip-aligned. Also, it packs Busybox, ini.d support, prop enhancements, thuderbolt scripts along with one of the best Nexus I9250 kernels, Franco’s. Some other features that you’ll find within are the Beats + XLOUDER mods, volume rocker wake, quick settings mod, extended power menu and many many others.
If you want to successfully install the Overdriver Jelly Bean 4.2.1 ROM on your Galaxy Nexus, then you should read the guidelines below firstly. You’ll learn how to properly configure your device so that you won’t lose any important data during the installation. Here’s what you need to know:
- Install this custom ROM only on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250. It won’t work with any other variant of Galaxy Nexus and you shouldn’t attempt to install it.
- Your device should be on unlocked bootloader, it has to be rooted and running a custom Recovery.
- Use the following tools to create backups of SMS, Call Logs, APN Internet Settings or even a list of installed applications: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. Some of these will ask for root access.
- Also, you should use the CWM Recovery and create a full NANDROID backup of your currently installed ROM. This backup will act as cover in case you don’t like the new Overdrive custom ROM.
- Sync your Contacts with the Google mail account you’ve assigned to your device. Use this guide here if you don’t know how to do it.
- Enable USB Debugging.
- Remember to charge the phone’s battery so that it won’t power off during the installation of this new ROM.
- Read the entire tutorial and in case you cannot understand or you cannot complete the custom ROM install process then you should ask for more instructions in comments.
These are all the guidelines that you had to read before getting to the next part of this post. Make sure that you don’t skip any instructions listed below, as that will result in a failed attempt of updating your device with this new Jelly Bean custom ROM.
How to flash Overdrive Android 4.2 custom ROM on Galaxy Nexus I9250:
- Download the Overdrive ROM from HERE and save the zip file on your computer’s desktop screen.
- Connect the phone to computer via USB Cable. Move the custom ROM zip on Nexus’ internal SD card and, afte the file is copied you can get to the next step and unplug the phone from PC.
- Power off the phone now.
- Boot it into Fastboot mode by pressing at the same time Volume Up, Volume Down and Power. Next, select ‘Recovery’ option and boot into Custom Recovery mode. Get to the next step.
- Users who didn’t create a NANDROID backup of their ROMs need to select ‘Backup and Restore’ option from the Recovery main menu. If you already have such file stored on your device, then you can skip this step.
- Now you have to select the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm this process.
- Next, select the ‘mounts and storage’ option from the main Recovery screen. After that you have to select ‘Format / System’ option. Confirm this process and when it is complete you can continue to the next step to learn how to flash the custom ROM.
- Select ‘install zip from SDcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option. Find the Overdrive ROM zip file and install it.
- Wait for the ROM to install and after that you can get to the main Recovery menu.
- Select ‘reboot system now’.
- Your Galaxy Nexus device should now boot with this new OverDrive Android 4.2.1 custom ROM. This first boot process will take at least 5 minutes.
- When the welcoming screen appears enter the Google Account and take control over your device’s functions.
- Make sure to test all the features of this new OverDrive ROM and then you can tell us in comments if you like it or not.
If you cannot complete the installation of Overdrive custom ROM at your first attempt, then you should power off the device, remove its battery and then re-insert it after 5 seconds. After that you need to repeat the entire tutorial starting with step 4 and, this time, make sure to apply the Data Wiping actions so that you will clean install all the required files.
In case you still have problems completing the installation of this new ROM, then you can ask for extra help at the end of this post and we will come to your aid. I think that these were all the instructions that I had for you. The only thing that you can do now is to test the OverDrive Android 4.2 custom ROM.
Remember that you can use CWM Recovery to restore the previous ROM using its backup file.