Sony Xperia Z has been launched some time ago and, now it has received a new custom ROM that you install it using this tutorial. The PACman custom ROM is a file released by the PACTeam and it is gathers tools from CM 10.1, AOKP and Paranoid Android. Read the entire post and you will manage to successfully flash this new OS.
This custom ROM has been shared by ‘jeroenqui’ and it is a stable release except for some minor problems. You can find more info at the XDA thread here. In order to make sure that you successfully flash this new custom ROM for your smartphone, you will first have to read the guidelines below:
- use the tutorial only with the Sony Xperia Z smartphone. Don’t try to flash this custom ROM on any other smartphone as you might end up bricking it.
- your phone has to be on an unlocked bootloader.
- Also, you need to have a custom Recovery installed on your device.
- Enable the USB debugging option from your device’s Developer Options.
- Make sure that your PC has all the Sony Xperia Z USB drivers installed on it.
- The phone’s battery should have enough power left before discharging completely, as you wouldn’t want to phone to switch off in the middle of the updating process.
- Use the CWM or TWRP Recovery to create a full NANDROID backup of your current ROM. This will create a restore point for your phone and it can be used in case your device doesn’t boot with the new operating system.
- Sync your Gmail account with the Contacts data before installing a new custom ROM. This will backup all the important phone numbers and other Contacts info that’s currently stored on your phone.
- Read the entire tutorial first and don’t try to apply any changes in case you’re a novice.
- Note that we cannot be blamed in case something goes wrong and you brick the phone or you lose any data in the process.
These were all the guidelines you had to go over, now you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to properly flash a new ROM for your device.
How to install PACman Jelly Bean 4.2.2 custom ROM for the Sony Xperia Z:
- Download the PACman ROM from HERE or HERE. Save the file on your computer.
- Move this file to your device using the USB data cable. Place the zip on the internal SDcard of your Xperia Z.
- Keep a copy on your PC of the ROM zip and extract the boot.img file but, don’t move it to your phone.
- Download this Fastboot file from HERE. Extract the contents of this zip and place the file on your desktop screen in a single folder. Rename the folder to ‘fastboot’ and you should have in it 4 files.
- Move the ‘boot.img’ file obtained in step 3 in the Fastboot directory.
- Power off your smartphone now.
- Boot it into Fastboot mode using the Volume Down and Power buttons. Press them at the same time until the screen powers on and the Fastboot mode appears.
- Connect your smartphone to your PC now using the USB cable. This action should be done only after you’re sure that the Fastboot mode is running on your phone.
- Next, press and hold ‘shift’ key and, at the same time, right-click the ‘Fastboot’ folder. Select ‘open command prompt window here’ option from Windows’ right-click context menu.
- Enter the following command in the CMD window and install Boot image: fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Your phone will now tell you that is waiting for a new device to appear. You have to enter the following command and flash the kernel: fastboot -i oxofoce flash boot boot.img
- When these files are successfully installed, you will see the OKAY message and you can unplug your phone from your PC.
- From the fastboot menu, select ‘RECOVERY’ option and wait for your device to boot into Recovery mode.
- Now, select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm this process.
- Get back to the main Recovery screen and select ‘install zip from SDcard’. Find the ‘PACman ROM zip’ file and install it.
- Wait several minutes for the install process to complete.
- When the new ROM has been successfully flashed for your Sony Xperia Z, you will need to return to the main recovery screen. Select ‘reboot system now’.
- Now your phone is starting the first boot process of the new custom ROM and you should wait until that is completed.
- Enter your Google Account details now and take control over your device once again.
- Test all the new features and functions of PACman Jelly Bean ROM.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully flash the new custom ROM for your Xperia Z. In case you couldn’t complete the install, then you can easily ask for support in our comments section.
In case that you don’t like this new OS, then you can easily use the custom Recovery mode and restore the NANDROID backup file of your previous ROM.