Paranoid JellyBean 4.2.1 is one of the most popular custom ROMs released and now it comes with a brand new feature, the PIE Controls. Use the tutorial listed below and you’ll learn how to successfully flash the custom ROM on your Google Nexus 4 device. Read all the info listed and make sure that you won’t skip any of the tutorial steps in order to install all files at your first attempt.
Below you can find all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully flash the new ROM on your Nexus 4 device. The Pie Controls will replace the on-screen softkeys of your device so that you’ll gain the entire display area. The Paranoid Android developers have worked on all aspects of the Android 4.2.1 and it seems like with this new ROM you will also get better battery life and a better Android experience. Before installing this new ROM you should read the guidelines and learn how to correctly configure your smartphone for the updating process.
Here’s what you need to do before installing the Paranoid Android 4.2.1 Custom ROM on your Nexus 4 device:
- use this tutorial only with the Nexus 4 E960 smartphone and don’t attempt to flash the files on any other Android smartphone. You might end up bricking a different device.
- Your phone has to be on an unlocked bootloader and running a custom Recovery. Without these you can’t flash this new custom ROM on your device.
- Use the CWM recovery and create a full NANDROID backup of your current ROM. This step is very important as you will set a restore point for your device and so you’ll be covered in case the Nexus 4 fails to boot with Paranoid Jelly Bean OS.
- Save all your SMS, Call Logs and APN Internet Settings using the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. Root access is needed for some of these apps.
- Sync your Gmail account with your Contacts app and you won’t lose the phone numbers and other contacts details.
- Enable USB debugging. Make sure that there is enough power left in your battery so that the device won’t power off during the installation of this new ROM.
- This is a guide for advanced Android users and you shouldn’t blame us in case something goes wrong. Also, we can’t be held responsible in case your device gets bricked in the process.
- Read all the instructions I’ve listed and make sure that you won’t skip any steps in the process.
- If you’re having problems completing the installation, then you should ask for extra help in our comments field.
Now that you know all this info, move to the tutorial guide below and make sure that you can complete the install at your first attempt. Remember that the tutorial will ask you to wipe the data and factory reset the device, which is an important step in completing the install. If you don’t understand what some of the steps are asking from you, then you should ask for extra help in comments.
How to flash Paranoid Jelly Bean 4.2.1 Custom ROM for Google Nexus 4 E960:
- Download the custom ROM zip file of Paranoid JB 4.2.1 from HERE. Don’t extract its contents and make sure that you save the file on your PC.
- Download the Gapps for PA ROM has to be downloaded from HERE. This is the file that you need to install in order to get all the Google-based apps so that you’ll experience the best new custom ROM.
- Connect your smartphone to your computer and, make sure that you move successfully the Paranoid Android ROM and Gapps zip files on its internal SD card. Disconnect the phone from computer when the files are moved.
- Power off your smartphone.
- Boot it into Recovery mode by pressing at the same time Volume Down and Power. Wait for the main custom Recovery menu to appear. Use the ‘backup and restore’ option to create a NANDROID backup of your current ROM. NOTE: if you have such backup then you should skip this step.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm this process.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’. This is the first step you take to flash PA Jelly Bean ROM on your device.
- Next, select ‘choose zip from internal SDcard’. Find the Paranoid JB 4.2.1 custom ROM zip and confirm its installation.
- After the ROM installs you should select the ‘choose zip from internal SDcard’ and find the Gapps zip. Install it and confirm this process.
- Return to the main Custom Recovery menu and select ‘reboot system now’.
- Wait for the first boot process to complete. It shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes to complete.
- Enter your Google Account details and take control over your device.
- Test the PIE Controls and tells us in comments if it improves the Android 4.2.1 Experience for your Nexus 4 device.
These were all the steps that you had to take and now you should begin the testing of this new ROM. In case you have any other questions then you should post them below in the comments section.
NOTE: If the first boot process of Paranoid JB 4.2.1 custom ROM takes too long to complete, then you should ‘hard reset’ the device and then repeat the entire tutorial once again starting with step 5. Make sure that you apply the actions listed under step 6, as you can’t install a ROM over other different ROM. There shouldn’t be any problems installing this new ROM, but it has been seen that the custom ROMs will not install at the first attempts.
If you don’t like how the PA JB 4.2.1 ROM works on your Google Nexus 4, then you can easily use the CWM recovery mode and restore your device to its previous custom ROM.
The Paranoid Jelly Bean 4.2.1 also has the tablet mode and when enabling it you can use its PIE controls. This will change the softkeys of Nexus 4 to a more advanced and stylish PIE-like on-screen buttons that will allow you to enjoy and benefit from the entire screen surface of your device.