The Paranoid Android AOSPA4+ Beta 2 based on Android 4.4.2 KitKat is now live for the Google Nexus 5. Use this tutorial if you want to learn how to successfully update your smartphone with this brand new custom ROM.
Paranoid Android AOSPA 4.0 Beta 2 is based on the AOSP Android 4.4.2 KitKat ROM, so you will get all the stock features as well as some other elements created by the Paranoid Android team. Also, you find some other familiar elements from CyanogenMod and AOKP builds. You will get tons of great ways in which you can change the overall look and feel of your device with Paranoid Android.
Google Nexus 5 already comes with a pure KitKat ROM, but the Paranoid Android AOSPA 4.0 Beta 2 brings multiple customization options and you can use them to gain access to other parts of your OS and get the best KitKat experience. Note that this ROM is not official release by Google, but a custom build that hasn’t reach ‘stable’ stage, which means that you might find some errors and bugs while testing it.
Keep an eye on Paranoid Android’s Google+ web page in order to find out when newer builds of PA AOSPA 4+ KitKat will be available for your Nexus 5 smartphone.
More info about this release can be found at Paranoid Android’s Google+ web page here. Before tarting the installation you should take a look at the preparation guide below:
- Use this post only with the Google Nexus 5.
- do not attempt to update any other Android device with the files that are listed in the tutorial.
- Your phone has to be rooted and running a custom Recovery such as CWM or TWRP.
- make sure that your CWM or TWRP Recovery is updated to its latest version possible.
- You need to create a full NANDROID ROM Backup for the installed OS before starting the update to ParanoidAndroid.
- this step is found in the tutorial, so you shouldn’t skip it.
- Factory Reset is required before starting the updating process, so you shouldn’t skip this step either.
- the Factory Reset wipes all data from system partition, while leaving the Internal storage unaffected.
- this step is listed in the tutorial, do not skip it.
- Backup data from installed apps, SMS and APN Internet Settings using the following tools for Android: Helium tool.
- this app can be used even with non-rooted Android devices also.
- Backup your Contacts info with your Gmail account before starting the installation.
- guide here for those that don’t know how to do it.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- This is a guide for advanced users, do not blame us in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data in the process.
- Read the entire post and make sure not to skip any steps in the process.
- Check the phone’s battery power levels so that it won’t switch off in the middle of the updating process.
- If you cannot complete the guide, then you can ask for more help in comments.
Since you’ve read all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to successfully update your device with a brand new custom KitKat ROM.
After you complete the installation you should test all the features and functions found in the ROM and, if you find any major bugs or errors while testing it, then you can tell us in comments or you can fill a report and send it to the developing ROM team.
How to flash Paranoid Android AOSPA4+ 4.4.2 KitKat for Nexus 5:
- Download the custom PA AOSPA4+ Beta 2 ROM from here.
- Download Gapps for this custom ROM from here.
- get the latest build.
- Connect the Nexus 5 to your PC and then move both zip files to its internal storage.
- do not unzip the files and disconnect the phone from PC when the files are copied successfully.
- Power off the phone.
- Boot the device in CWM / TWRP Recovery Mode.
- both custom Recovery variants are supported by this guide.
- When you’re at the main custom Recovery screen you need to create the full NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM:
- CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, then save the file on your device’s internal storage.
- TWRP: press Backup, swipe to confirm process.
- Now you can apply Factory Reset:
- CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm.
- TWRP: press Wipe, then swipe to apply Factory Reset.
- Finally, flash the custom ROM now:
- CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’, find the ROM and flash it.
- TWRP: press Install, then browse the internal storage for the ROM. Confirm the installation.
- After the ROM is installed, repeat step 8 actions and flash the Gapps zip as well.
- Return to the main custom Recovery screen when both files are installed.
- Reboot your phone now in normal mode.
- note that the first boot process takes several minutes to complete the installation, which is why you should wait until the process is complete.
- Use your Google Account details and take control over your device once again.
I hope that you’ve managed to complete the installation of this new Paranoid Android 4.4.2 Beta 2 Custom ROM for your Nexus 5. In case you cannot complete the guide, then you can ask for more help in comments.
NOTE: if the first boot process doesn’t load after ten minutes have passed by, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again. If you do repeat the guide, then you have to make that you won’t skip any steps in the process. Also, the ‘format /system’ process should be applied besides the Factory Reset.
In case you don’t like this new ROM, then you can use the backup file created in step 6 in order to restore your device to its previous ROM. Make sure to use the same custom Recovery and the NANDROID ROM Backup file.