PA AOSPA 4+ based on Android 4.4.2 KitKat has reached its BETA 3 build. Now you can learn how to successfully update your device using this ROM and by reading all the instructions that I’ve listed in this article.
More info on Paranoid Android and their work on releasing a full stable Android 4.4.2 custom ROM for your Galaxy S2 can be found at this XDA thread here or at their Google+ page here. Before starting the installation of this new ROM on your smartphone you should first take a look at the preparation guide below:
- Use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100.
- this is the Exynos model, not the TI OMAP I9100G.
- don’t use this post for any other Android devices, as you will end up bricking their firmware.
- The Galaxy S2 that you’re about to update has to be rooted and running a custom Recovery image.
- both CWM and TWRP are supported by this tutorial, but you need to make sure that whichever you use, then it runs the latest version.
- if the Custom Recovery image is not updated to its latest version, then you cannot flash a KitKat custom ROM.
- In the tutorial you will find the NANDROID ROM Backup step, this will set a restore point for your phone, one that you can use in case the new PA AOSPA 4+ Beta 3 build doesn’t boot in normal mode or in case you simply don’t like its features.
- A ‘Factory Reset’ is always required, it will wipe all data from system partition. This process allows you to flash a brand new KitKat custom ROM on your device, so you shouldn’t skip this step.
- Factory Reset doesn’t delete files from internal nor external storage.
- If you want to backup data from installed applications or SMS text messages, then you can use the Helium tool — Guide and Download Link HERE.
- Sync all your Contacts data and People details with your Gmail account using the info listed in this post here.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- Check your phone’s battery and make sure that it has at least 50% power left before it switches off completely.
- Read the entire post and make sure not to skip any steps that I’ve listed below.
- This is a guide for advanced users, do not attempt to use this guide in case you don’t know what you’re doing, as you will end up bricking the phone.
- If you cannot complete the guide, then you should ask for more help in comments.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this article and learn how to successfully update your smartphone with a brand new Android 4.4.2 custom ROM.
Remember that this is not an official KitKat update released by Samsung nor a very stable build. Expect to find errors and bugs, as this PA AOSPA 4+ ROM is still a ‘work-in-progress’. That is why you should check the XDA thread and find more info about the latest changes and applications added by this installation.
How to flash Paranoid Android 4.4.2 AOSPA 4+ Beta 3 ROM for Galaxy S2 I9100:
- Download the PA 4.0 BETA 3 ROM zip from here.
- Download Gapps for this custom ROM from here.
- Connect your phone to your PC and move both zip files to your device’s internal storage.
- disconnect the phone from PC when the transfer is complete.
> do not unzip the archived ROM and Gapps files.
- Power off your Galaxy S2.
- Now you need to boot the phone in CWM / TWRP Recovery Mode.
- it can be done by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons all at the same time.
> release the buttons when you’re at the main custom Recovery screen.
> note that both CWM and TWRP are working with this post, but the guide was only tested with CWM Recovery.
- First thing that you need to do is to create a full NANDROID Backup of the installed ROM:
- select ‘backup and restore’, name the file and continue to the next step when you’re done.
> do not skip this step.
- Next you have to apply a Factory Reset for your smartphone.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ for your device. Confirm the process.
> don’t skip the ‘factory reset’, as otherwise the new ROM might not boot in normal mode and you will be forced to repeat the entire guide more than once.
- Now, flash the Paranoid Android 4.0 Beta 3 KitKat ROM for your Galaxy S2 I9100:
- select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- find the ROM zip file and confirm its installation.
> don’t press any buttons until the process is complete.
- After the ROM is flashed you can repeat step 8 actions and flash Gapps zip as well.
- When both files are installed with success you can return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your device now in normal mode.
> note that the first boot process of this new ROM will take at least five minutes to load all the new files, which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons until the process is complete.
- Use your Google account info in order to take control over your Galaxy S2 when the Paranoid Android Beta 3 KitKat home screen appears.
- now you can start testing all of the new features and functions that were installed by this new ROM.
If you have the TWRP Recovery installed on your device, then you need to make sure that you select the correct actions. It shouldn’t be that hard, as CWM and TWRP options are pretty similar and TWRP has a more intuitive interface than its counterpart. If you cannot complete the guide, then you can ask for extra help in comments.
NOTE: If the first boot process of Paranoid Android 4.0 Beta 3 for Galaxy S2 doesn’t boot in normal mode, then it would be best for you to retry the installation process. Make sure to read the entire guide and not skip any steps that I’ve listed above.
If the installation fails at your first attempt then you should boot in Custom Recovery mode and after your apply the ‘Wipe Data/ Factory Reset’ step you will also go to Advanced settings and apply the ‘Format /system’ option. This will force your device to boot with the new ROM.
Also, if you don’t like this PA AOSPA 4+ Beta 3 KitKat custom ROM or how it works with your Galaxy S2, then you can always restore the phone to its previous ROM using the backup file created in step 6. For the restore process you can use the same custom Recovery Mode.