Paranoid Android team has finally released the Stable PA 4.4 KitKat ROM for the 2012 edition of Google Nexus 7 3G tablet.
Up until now we were only capable of flashing the PA 4.4+ beta builds and those weren’t the most stable releases, but the Paranoid Android team has managed to compile a stable version after the official Android 4.4.4 KitKat was launched by Google.
This release of PA 4.4 KitKat FINAL ROM is based on AOSP Android 4.4.4 and it packs tons of other great features like Peek, Hover, Theme Engine and others more.
If you want to make sure that you complete the installation at your first attempt, then you should first look at the guidelines below:
- use this post only with the Google Nexus 7 2012 3G model.
- don’t try to update any other devices with the files that you will find in this article.
- your Nexus 7 2012 3G variant needs to be rooted for the installation to complete.
- the tablet is required to have a custom Recovery installed.
- both CWM and TWRP versions will work with this post.
- read the whole guide, don’t skip any steps and try to use the comments field in order to ask for extra help in case you cannot complete installation.
- in the tutorial you will find the “nandroid ROM backup” and “factory reset” steps, do not skip them.
- in case you’re planning on saving any data from installed apps, SMS text messages or any other type of files, then you can use the Helium app for Android.
- sync Contacts info with your default Gmail account.
- this is a post for advanced Nexus 7 2012 3G users, so you shouldn’t use it in case you don’t want to tinker with your tablet.
- don’t try to blame us in case you brick its firmware nor in case you end up losing any important data during installation.
- check your tablet’s charge level and make sure that it is over 60%, this will prevent it from switching off while you’re installing the PA 4.4 Final ROM.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options if you’re planning to download the files on your computer and then move them to your tablet.
Now you can get to the installation guide.
How to update Nexus 7 (2012) 3G to Android 4.4.4 using PA 4.4 FINAL ROM:
- Download the ROM zip file from here.
- Download Gapps for Paranoid Android ROMs here.
- Move the files to your tablet after the downloads are complete and don’t unzip them.
- if you’ve used the tablet to download the files, then you can ignore this step.
- Power off the device completely.
- Boot your Nexus 7 in Custom Recovery Mode now.
- Create a full NANDROID Backup for the already installed ROM:
- CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, name the file and complete process.
- TWRP: press Backup, set a filename, swipe to confirm the backup process.
- this will set a restore point for your device.
- Next, apply a Factory Reset:
- CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm.
- TWRP: press Wipe, swipe to confirm.
- Now you can finally begin the installation of PA 4.4 Final ROM for your Nexus 7 2012 model:
- CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, next ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- TWRP: press Install.
- Find the ROM zip file and confirm the installation. After the Paranoid Android ROM is flashed you should repeat step 8 and flash Gapps zip.
- When both the ROM and Gapps zips are installed with success you can reboot the tablet in normal mode.
- note that the first boot process of this new ROM will take a while and you will need to wait until the home screen loads.
- Use your login info in order to take control over your device once again.
If the tutorial fails and the new ROM isn’t installed, then you can ask for extra help in comments or you can try to repeat the guide, as it will eventually work.