This is the guide that you can use to learn how to successfully install the Android 4.4.4 PA build for your 2012 Nexus 7 Wi-Fi tablet.
The Paranoid Android team has worked extensively in releasing the first stable build of their PA 4.4 ROMs and now you can finally use it on your device. This new ROM packs tons of great Paranoid features such as peek, hover, theme engine, paranoid OTA support, volume panel controls revamped and more.
This build is based on Android 4.4.4 KitKat stock ROM.
Before starting the installation you should take a look at the preparation info below:
- use this guide only with the Nexus 7 Wi-FI 2012 edition.
- don’t try to install the files on any other variant of Nexus 7.
- your device has to be rooted and running the latest CWM or TWRP Recovery.
- read this whole guide first guide and do not skip any steps in case you want to complete installation at your first attempt.
- in the first steps of the tutorial you will find the ‘factory reset’ action, one that you shouldn’t skip.
- it is never recommended to install a custom ROM build over a different one.
- if you’re running an older variant of PA 4.4 beta ROM, then you can install the new PA 4.4 Final over it.
- in case you skip the ‘factory reset’ and the tablet doesn’t boot with the new ROM, then you will be forced to return and apply Factory Reset.
- in case you wish to save some data from installed apps, SMS text messages or any other type of file then you can use the Helium app for Android.
- sync Contacts info with your default Gmail account.
- this is a guide that should be applied by advanced users, do not blame us if you brick your tablet nor in case you lose any photos, documents or other data files.
- check the battery power level of your Nexus 7 2012 tablet and make sure that it is over 50%, so that it won’t switch off in the middle of the process.
- enable USB Debugging for your tablet from its Developer Options menu under Settings.
- if you need any extra help, then you can use the comments field.
Since you’ve read all of the above, now you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to successfully install the new Paranoid Android 4.4 custom ROM for your tablet.
How to flash PA 4.4 FINAL build for 2012 Nexus 7 Wi-Fi:
- Download the custom Android 4.4.4 ROM built by Paranoid Android from here.
- Download Gapps for PA custom ROMs from here.
- Move these files to your tablet’s internal storage if you want to successfully install it on your device.
- if you’ve already downloaded the zip files to your tablet then you can skip this step.
- Power off the tablet.
- Now you need to boot the tablet in Recovery Mode.
- both CWM and TWRP Recovery variants are supported by this guide.
- First you need to create a NANDROID Backup for the already installed ROM.
- CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, name the file and confirm process.
- TWRP: press Backup, rename the file and swipe to confirm.
- do not skip this step.
- Apply the Factory Reset:
- CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm.
- TWRP: press Wipe. Swipe to confirm process.
- don’t skip this action if you’re running a different Android custom ROM.
- if you’re running an older PA 4.4+ beta build, then you can install the new PA 4.4 FINAL build over it.
- Install the ROM:
- CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- TWRP: press Install.
- find the PA 4.4 Grouper ROM zip file and confirm its installation.
- When the custom ROM is installed you can flash Gapps zip, too. Use the same options as in step 8.
- After all files are installed you should return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot the tablet now in normal mode.
- note that this first boot process take a while to complete which is why you should avoid pressing any buttons until you see the homescreen.
- Use your Google Account info in order to take control over your Nexus 7 2012 Wi-Fi model.
If the tutorial fails to install all files at the first attempt or your tablet enters into a boot loop, then you will need to repeat the whole guide without skipping any steps.