PA 4.5 Beta 2 is now live for the Google Nexus 4 device and you can use this post if you wish to learn how to successfully install it on your device. Read the whole guide and you should be able to do it without bricking your device in the process.
If you wish to learn more about this release you can check Paranoid Android’s blog page here or read our news article here. This PA 4.5 Beta 2 ROM update comes with Android L aesthetics and other great features. It is based on the Android 4.4.4 KitKat mostly, but there are tons of elements borrowed from Google’s future OS release.
Before starting the installation you should read the guidelines below:
- use this tutorial only with the Google Nexus 4 device.
– do not try to update any other Android devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- your Nexus 4 phone should be rooted and running a custom Recovery like CWM or TWRP.
– both the CWM and TWRP will work with this guide.
- in the ‘how-to’ part of this post you will find two extra steps:
– the NANDROID Backup creates a full ROM restore point, one that you can use in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
– Factory Reset is also needed as it removes all data from the previous ROM.
– the ‘factory reset’ process will not wipe the data from internal / external storage.
- in case you wish to save data from your favorite apps or some text messages, then you can use Helium tool for Android.
– Contacts can be synced with your default Gmail account, too.
- check the battery charge level of your device and make sure that it is over 50%, it will prevent the phone from switching off during installation.
- this tutorial has to be used only by advanced Android users.
- do not blame us in case you end up bricking your phone nor in case you lose any data in the process.
- if you need more help you should use the comments field below.
Now that you’ve read all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to flash PA 4.5 Beta 2 ROM for Google Nexus 4:
- Download the ROM from here.
- Download Gapps for this ROM from here.
- Connect the phone to your computer and move both zip files to your device’s internal storage.
– if you’ve used your phone to download the files then you can skip this step.
– do not unzip the contents of the zip files.
- Power off the phone now.
- Boot the device in Recovery Mode.
- First, create a full NANDROID ROM Backup:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’.
– TWRP: press Backup.
– confirm the process.
- Now you have to apply the Factory Reset:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
– TWRP: Press Wipe.
– confirm the factory reset and continue to the next step when you’re done with it.
- Now you can begin the installation of Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 for Nexus 4:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
– TWRP: press Install.
- Find the PA 4.5 Beta 2 Mako zip file and confirm the installation.
- After the ROM is flashed you can install Gapps zip, too. Use the same Step 8 options.
- Return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your device in normal mode now.
– note that the first boot process of Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 might take a while before it loads all the new files and features.
- Use your login details in order to take control over your device once again.
Since you’ve read all of the above you can now start testing all the new features and functions added by the PA 4.5 Beta 2 ROM.
If the installation fails, then you should try to repeat the whole guide and make sure that you won’t skip any steps. Use the comments field if you need more help.