The Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 ROM build is now available for the 2012 edition of the Google Nexus 7 2012 3G tablet. If you want to learn how to install it you will have to read this whole guide.
This new build of Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 is based on Android 4.4.4 KitKat AOSP, it also features numerous great features created by the Paranoid team along with some new elements borrowed from Google’s future Android L operating system. Read more about it here or here.
Before starting the installation you should read the guidelines below:
- use this guide only for the Google Nexus 7 2012 3G Edition.
– your tablet’s model should be set to ’tilapia’.
– do not try to update any other different Nexus 7 tablet with the files in this post.
- your Nexus 7 3G 2012 tablet has to be rooted and running a Custom Recovery like CWM or TWRP.
- when you will reach the tutorial you will find two other preparation steps: NANDROID Backup and Factory Reset.
– NANDROID Backup: it creates a full restore point for your device, one that you can use in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
– Factory Reset: this process is needed so that you will get rid of all the files that were installed by the previous ROM.
– the Factory Reset will not delete any data from internal storage.
- in case you wish to save data from installed apps you can use Helium for Android app.
– Contacts can be synced with your default Gmail account.
- check the tablet’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 40%, this will prevent it from switching off during installation.
- this is a guide for advanced users and for those that wish to tinker with their tablet’s operating system.
- we cannot be held responsible in case you brick your tablet nor in case you end up losing any data in the process.
These were all the guidelines that you had to go over before continuing to the next part of this post.
How to flash PA 4.5 Beta 2 ROM for Nexus 7 2012 3G:
- Download the “pa_tilapia-4.5-BETA2-20140812.zip” ROM file from here.
- Download Gapps for this ROM from here.
- Connect your tablet to your PC and then move both zip files on to its internal storage.
– in case you’ve downloaded the files directly to your tablet, then you can skip this step.
– do not unzip the contents of the zip files.
- Power off the Nexus 7 2012 3G ROM and then boot it into Custom Recovery Mode.
- First, create a NANDROID Backup of the already installed ROM:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’.
– TWRP: press Backup.
– set a file name and confirm process.
- Next, apply the ‘factory reset’.
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
– TWRP: press Wipe.
– confirm process.
- Start the PA 4.5 Beta 2 KitKat 4.4.4 ROM installation for your Nexus 7 2012 3G:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’.
– TWRP: press Install.
- Find the ROM zip file and confirm its installation. Do not press any buttons until all files are flashed successfully.
- After the ROM is installed you should flash the Gapps zip, too. Use the same options as in step 7.
- When all files are flashed, reboot the tablet in normal mode.
– note that the first boot process of this new ROM will take a while before it load the home screen.
- Use your Google account info in order to take control over your device once again.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the installation of Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 ROM for your Nexus 7 2012 3G.
If you need more help use the comments field.