The Galaxy S4 I9500 has received its own Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta builds that are based on Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L. Use this tutorial if you wish to learn how to install one of these PA 4.5 builds for your device.
This PA 4.5 Beta 3, that’s the latest build available at this article’s creation, is based on Android 4.4.4 stock, but it also features tons of elements from the Android L Preview release. Learn more about this Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta release at its developing team blog page. Read the guidelines below before starting the installation process of this new custom ROM for your device:
- use this tutorial only for the Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500.
– this is the international mode and you can check its version under Settings> About Phone> Model Number.
– do not try to update any other different Android device with the files that you will find in this article.
- your Galaxy S4 has to be rooted and running the latest build of a custom Recovery that’s support Android 4.4.4 ROMs.
– both CWM and TWRP will work with this guide as long as they’re running the latest version.
- before installing PA 4.5 Beta 3 ROM you will need to apply two preparation steps: NANDROID Backup and Factory Reset.
– NANDROID Backup: this will set a full restore point for the ROM that’s currently installed on your device.
– Factory Reset: this has to be applied so that you will wipe the system memory clean.
– factory reset doesn’t remove any data from internal nor external sdcard.
- if you want to save some data from installed applications, then you can use Helium for Android or any other app that you’re feeling comfortable using.
– Contacts data can be synced with your default Gmail account.
- check the battery charge level of your phone before getting to the tutorial, it should be over 50%, this will prevent it from switching off during installation.
- this is a guide for advanced users, do not blame us in case you brick the phone nor in case you end up losing any data files.
- read the whole guide and make sure that you won’t skip any steps listed below.
Now that you know all of the above you can get to the interesting part of this post and start installing a brand new custom ROM for your device.
How to flash Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta for Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500:
- Download the latest PA 4.5 Beta file from here.
- Download Gapps for this ROM from here.
- Move both these zip files to your Galaxy S4 internal storage.
– do not extract the archived contents.
– in case you’ve downloaded the files straight to your device, then you can skip this step.
- Power off the Galaxy S4 now and then boot it into custom Recovery Mode.
- Create the NANDROID ROM Backup:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’.
– TWRP: press Backup.
– name the file and confirm.
- Apply the Galaxy S4 I9500 Factory Reset:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
– TWRP: press Wipe.
– confirm this process and then wait until your smartphone completes the process automatically.
- Start the PA 4.5 Beta ROM installation now:
– CWM: use the ‘install zip from sdcard’ and ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option.
– TWRP: press the Install recovery option.
– Find the Paranoid Android 4.5 ROM zip file and confirm the install.
- When the ROM is installed you can use the same options as in step 7 and flash Gapps zip, too.
- Reboot your Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 in normal mode after all files are successfully installed.
– in case the installation fails, then you should try to repeat the whole guide more than once.
- Use your Google Account info in order to take full control over your smartphone once again.
Now that you’ve managed to complete this installation you are free to start testing all of its new features and functions. Make sure to report any bugs or errors that you might find back to Paranoid Android’s developing team, so that they will continue to improve any future PA 4.5 release.
If the installation fails, then you will need to repeat the guide more than once but, make sure that your phone meets all the requirements listed in the preparation info and that you know what you’re doing. Alternatively you can choose to ask for extra help in comments.
If you can’t complete the PA 4.5 Beta installation on your Galaxy S4 I9500 and you decide to repeat the guide, then make sure not to skip any steps and that you will apply ‘factory reset’. Remember that this is a tutorial that has to be followed by those users who wish to tinker with their phone’s internal OS and seeing how are other custom KitKat ROMs working when compared with Samsung’s TouchWiz UI.