ParanoidAndroid has now reached its AOSPA 3.10 version and it is based on the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM. It is one of the most popular Android custom ROMs and you should install it on your phablet Note. Read the entire tutorial and make sure that you won’t skip any steps that are listed in this post here.
PA brings the Hybrid Mode, phone and tablet user interfaces, created for one single device. It’s a great ROM that also brings the PIE controls, a brand new way for you to browse between screens and forgetting about pressing / using the soft keys of your device. You will also get improved Android 4.2.2 features.
The AOSPA 3+ or ParanoidAndroid Jelly Bean has now been adapted and build around the Android Open Source Project, which means you will get the pure Android OS along with CyanogenMod and AOKP best features besides their own PA functions. In order to make sure that you successfully flash the installation of this new ROM, then you should read the preparation guide below:
- Use this tutorial only with the Samsung Galaxy Note model number N7000. Don’t attempt to update any other smartphone using this guide as you will brick it.
- Your device should be rooted and running a custom Recovery image, which you will use in order to flash the new ROM files. We’ve used the CWM Recovery mode for this guide.
- Use the custom Recovery mode to create a full NANDROID backup of your current ROM. This will make a restore point for your phone and you can use it in case the new ROM isn’t working as you’d expected it to.
- Since the tutorial will ask you to ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ the phone, then you will need to backup SMS, Call logs or any other data that is stored on the /system partition: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. Grant these apps root access, as otherwise it won’t work with your phablet.
- Make sure that you had synced your Gmail with your Contacts. This will make sure that you won’t lose any important phone numbers or Contacts data. Note that you will have to enter the Google Account after the install is complete so that all Contacts data will be restored intact.
- Your phone’s battery should be charged and its level showing that it has at least 50% power left before powering off.
- This is a guide for advanced Android users and you shouldn’t blame us nor the developer in case you brick your phone in the phone. Also, we cannot be held responsible in case you lose any important data in the process.
- Read the entire tutorial first and only when you’re sure that can flash all files at your first attempt, you should apply all the steps.
- Don’t skip any tasks I’ve listed below. If you have any questions related to the installation process, then you should leave them in our comments field.
Now that you know all of the above, I think that you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to successfully update your smartphone to the latest AOSPA 3+ build. NOTE: In case your device is already running on a previous build of ParanoidAndroid Jelly Bean ROM, then you can skip the ‘factory reset’ step and flash the new PA build over the old one.
How to install ParanoidAndroid 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM on your Samsung Galaxy Note N7000:
- Download the PA Jelly Bean custom ROM from HERE. Save the file to your PC or you can directly download it to your phone’s internal SDcard.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.2.2 ROMs from HERE. Save it to PC or directly to your phone. Don’t extract the contents of the download files.
- Connect the device to your PC and then move both ROM and Gapps files on to its internal SDcard. If you already downloaded these files on to your device, then you can skip this step.
- Power off the Galaxy Note N7000.
- Boot it into CWM recovery mode. It can be done if you press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons all at the same time. Release the buttons only when the custom Recovery Mode appears.
- Select ‘backup and restore’ option and create a NANDROID backup of your current ROM. A restore system file will be created now that you can use in case you don’t like this new ROM or, in case the phone doesn’t want to boot with ParanoidAndroid OS. Create such backup as it might be very useful in the future.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm this process. The internal and external SDcard contents won’t be deleted by this process.
- Select ‘install zip from SDcard’. From the new menu select ‘choose zip from SDcard’. Find the PA Jelly Bean zip file and confirm its installation.
- When the ROM installs all the required files, select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’. After that you will need to flash the Gapps file as well. Confirm this process.
- Get back to the main CWM Recovery mode screen when all files have been successfully installed. Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait until the PA ROM boots your device into normal mode.
- Enter your Google Account details and take control over all your phone’s functions.
- Test the ParanoidAndroid ROM and make sure to restore all your favorite applications and data files when you decide that this is the OS you’re gonna use from now on.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to flash this new ParanoidAndroid Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM on your Galaxy Note N7000.
If you have problems installing the update at your first attempt, then you should repeat the entire tutorial once again until you manage to flash all files. Note that you can always restore the NANDROID backup of your previously installed ROM by using the CWM Recovery mode.
If you have any other questions regarding the installation of ParanoidAndroid 4.2.2 JB ROM, then you should ask for more help in our comments section.