Project Cold Fusion is another custom ROM based on Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean. It can be installed on your Google Nexus 4 smartphone. Use this post if you want to successfully manage to flash its files without any problems.
This is a custom ROM that is based on AOSP Android 4.2.1 and CyanogenMod 10.1 source codes. It has been created an released by KonstantinKeller, an XDA Recognized Contributor. Its main features are the Power shutter, custom notification alerts, Android 4.2 Quick Settings, a custom boot animation and multiple others. The ROM has been rooted with SuperSU.
If you want to get this new custom ROM on your Nexus 4 device then you should read these instructions below before getting to the tutorial guide:
- This is a tutorial that will work only with the Google / LG Nexus 4 model number E960. Do not attempt to flash this custom ROM on any other Android device as that will brick it.
- The Nexus 4 device should be on unlocked bootloader, it has to be rooted and running a custom Recovery. Our section of Nexus 4 how-to guides contains guides for all those actions. Note that you cannot flash this new ROM if these requirements aren’t met.
- Use CWM Recovery before installing Project Cold Fusion ROM to create a NANDROID backup of your currently installed ROM.
- Also, you can choose to create a list of installed apps, backups of SMS, Call Logs and APN Internet Settings using these tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. Grant root access for your device in case some of these apps ask you for it.
- Sync your Contacts phone numbers and other details using this guide HERE. It will teach you how to sync the Contacts data with your Gmail.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery has enough power left before getting to the tutorial.
- Note that we aren’t responsible for any data loss. Also, we cannot be blamed if you brick your device in the process.
- Don’t skip any steps I’ve listed and make sure to ask for more help in comments in case something goes wrong during the new ROM install process.
These were all the extra instructions you had to go over before getting to the ‘how-to’ part of this post.
How to install Project Cold Fusion Android 4.2.1 custom ROM on Google Nexus 4:
- Download the custom ROM zip from HERE. Don’t unzip and save the file on your PC.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.2.1 / CM10.1 from HERE. Don’t download older versions. Save the file on PC and don’t unzip.
- Connect the N4 device to computer via USB cable.
- Move the files downloaded at step 1 and 2 on the device’s internal SD card. Disconnect the phone from PC when the transfer is complete.
- Power off your Nexus 4 smartphone now.
- Boot your device into Fastboot mode. It can be done if you press and hold at the same time Volume Up, Volume Down and Power.
- From the Fastboot mode menu select ‘Recovery’. Wait for the device to load the custom Recovery menu. NOTE: When that happens you can use the ‘backup and restore’ option to create a full NANDROID copy of your current ROM. If you already have one or you don’t want to create it then you can skip this ‘note’ step.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. This will delete the applications, SMS and other data stored on your phone’s memory partition. The contents of the Internal SD card will not be deleted. Confirm the factory reset action and when you’re done you can get to the next step and install the ROM.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’. After that you need to select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Project Cold Fusion JB custom ROM file and confirm that you want to install it.
- After the ROM installs you can select again ‘choose zip from SDcard’ and then install the Gapps for Android 4.2.1 / CM10.1 zip. Confirm.
- When both zip files have been successfully installed, return to the main recovery screen.
- Select ‘reboot system now’.
- Wait for the Nexus 4 to complete its first boot process with this new ROM.
- Enter your Google Account and then take control over your device.
- Test all the new features comprised within Project Cold Fusion ROM and tell us in comments which are its best components.
I think that these are all the instructions that you had to follow and now you should begin testing the ROM.
NOTE: If the first boot process with this new ROM takes over 10 minutes to complete, then you will have to power off the device and then you need to repeat the entire tutorial starting with step 6. Try to re-install the custom ROM until you manage to flash all of its files. It might not install at your first attempt for various reasons and that’s why you need to retry more than once to install it.
Use the comments section to ask for more help in case you cannot complete the installation of Project Cold Fusion ROM on your Nexus 4 device.
Also, if you don’t like this new ROM, then you should use the backup of the previous ROM and restore your device to its previous state.