Resurrection Remix KitKat ROM is now available for the Galaxy S3 I9300 Exynos device. This is the post that you can use to learn how to successfully flash the custom ROM on your phone.
This ROM is based on AOSP Android 4.4.2 KitKat, CyanogenMod, AOKP, Paranoid Android and it also adds some of its own features. Learn more about it by reading the info listed at the XDA thread here.
Before starting the installation you should take a look at the guidelines below, as you’ll learn how to backup important data and how to prepare the phone for the whole update process. Remember that this is only a custom ROM and not an official update released by Samsung. Here’s what you need to know before getting to the tutorial:
- Use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S3 model number I9300 — the Exynos model.
- don’t attempt to update any other Galaxy S3 device with the files that you’ll find in the tutorial, as that will brick the firmware.
- The Galaxy S3 I9300 that you’re about to update with Resurrection Remix KitKat should be rooted.
- also, make sure that the latest CWM Recovery image version is installed.
- TWRP Recovery will also work, but we haven’t tested it.
- It would be best for you to create a full NANDROID ROM backup before installing the new ROM.
- it will set a restore point for your smartphone, one that you can use in case the new one won’t boot correctly.
- this step is listed in the tutorial so you won’t miss it.
- a Factory Reset is also required before installing the new ROM.
- Factory Reset will delete all data from system partition.
- the Internal and External storage cards won’t be affected by the Factory Reset.
- you can find the Factory Reset step in the tutorial.
- Backup all your data from installed applications and SMS Text Messages using Helium tool — Guide here.
- Sync all Contacts info with your Gmail account.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- Make sure that the Galaxy S3 battery has enough power left in it before it completely switches off.
- Read the entire post, don’t skip any steps and you should be able to complete the installation in under ten minutes.
- This is a guide for advanced users who want to tinker with their device’s OS, so you shouldn’t blame us in case something goes wrong.
- If you cannot complete the guide, then you can ask for more help in comments.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to learn how to correctly prepare the device for the updating process.
How to flash Resurrection Remix Android 4.4.2 ROM for Galaxy S3 I9300:
- Download the RR Android 4.4.2 build from here.
- make sure to grab the latest build available.
- Download Gapps for this ROM from here.
- Connect your Galaxy S3 to your PC, then move both zip files to its internal storage.
- don’t unzip the archived files.
- disconnect the phone from PC when the transfer is complete.
- Power off your Galaxy S3 now.
- Now you have to boot the device in CWM Recovery Mode.
- if you don’t know how to do it, follow this link here and learn.
- Create the complete NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM:
- select ‘backup and restore’ option, name the backup file and confirm process.
- Next, apply Factory Reset:
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm.
> don’t skip this step.
- Now you can flash the Resurrection Remix KitKat 4.4.2 ROM for your Galaxy S3:
- select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- find the ROM zip file and install it.
> don’t press any buttons until the process is complete.
- Flash the Gapps file after the ROM installation has finished using the same options as it step 8.
- Return to the main custom Recovery screen after both files are installed.
- Reboot your phone in normal mode now.
> note that the first boot process of Resurrection Remix KitKat ROM will take over five minutes to complete.
> don’t press any buttons until you see the home screen.
- Use your Google account info in order to gain control over all the functions of your phone.
Now that you’ve completed the installation you can start testing all the new features of Resurrection Remix ROM.
If the installation fails at your first attempt, then you can safely repeat the entire tutorial by making sure that you won’t skip any steps. Ask for more help in comments.