Resurrection Remix is the latest ROM to reach Android 4.4.2 builds. Use this post if you wish to learn how to successfully update your 1st-gen Galaxy S I9000 phone with this new ROM.
This is a custom ROM that is based on AOSP Android 4.4.2, it also features elements from CyanogenMod, AOKP and Paranoid Android. Learn more about it by visiting this XDA thread here. If you want to successfully install this new ROM on your device, you will first have to take a look at the preparation guide below:
- this post works only with the Samsung Galaxy model number I9000.
– don’t update any other devices with the files that you will find in this post, as you will end up bricking the firmware.
- your Galaxy S has to be rooted and running the latest CWM Recovery build.
– older builds of CWM aren’t capable of handling KitKat custom ROMs.
- in the tutorial you will find the NANDROID ROM Backup step, do not skip it.
– this process creates a restore point for your device.
- Factory Reset is also needed, this step is listed in the tutorial too.
– this process will wipe all data from installed applications, but it allows you to install a fresh copy of Resurrection Remix KitKat.
– do not skip this step.
– note: Factory Reset doesn’t wipe data from internal nor external storage.
- Backup data from installed apps using Helium for Android.
- Sync Contacts info with your Gmail account.
- This post is for advanced Android users, do not attempt to update your phone in case you don’t know what you’re doing.
- Do not blame us in case you brick your phone or lose any important data in the process.
- Read the entire post and make sure not to skip any steps that I’ve listed in the tutorial.
- If you cannot complete the guide, then you can ask for more help in comments.
Since you’ve read all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post.
Note that this is not an official Samsung update, but a small custom ROM that allows you to test a Kitkat build on your old device.
Flash Resurrection Remix Android 4.4.2 ROM for Galaxy S I9000:
- Download the ROM from here.
- Download Gapps for this ROM from here.
- Connect your phone to your computer and then move both zip files to your device’s internal storage.
– disconnect the device from PC when the files are copied.
– do not unzip the files.
- Power off your Galaxy S I9000 completely.
- Next, boot the device in CWM Recovery Mode:
– learn here how to boot recovery in case you don’t know how to do it (that’s a Galaxy S3 Recovery Mode boot guide, but it works with Galaxy S too)
- Create a NANDROID ROM Backup:
– select ‘backup and restore’, name the file and confirm process.
- Next, apply the Factory Reset:
– select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm.
- Now you can finally install the Resurrection Remix KitKat 4.4.2 for Galaxy S I9000:
– select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
– find the ROM zip file and confirm the installation.
- When the Resurrection Remix KitKat build is flashed successfully on your device you can install the Gapps zip. Use the same actions as in step 8 to flash Google Apps zip.
- Get back to the main custom Recovery screen when the installation is complete.
- Reboot your phone now in normal mode.
– note that the first boot of Resurrection Remix will take several minutes, which is why you should wait until the homescreen appears.
- Use your Google Account info in order to take control over your Galaxy S I9000.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to update your Galaxy S with a brand new KitKat 4.4.2 ROM.
If you have any other questions, please use the comments field below.