The RootBOX ROM has reached Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean build and now you can flash on your Galaxy Fascinate smartphone using the instructions that I have listed in this post here. Make sure to read the entire post and not skip any steps.
This custom ROM comes with all the stock features of Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, Google Now, Project Butter tweaked interface, expandable notifications, Gesture Typing ( Swype), quick settings right from your status bar, improved accessibility, lockscreen widgets, Daydream screensaver, faster browser, improved performance and numerous other small tweaks that should improve the entire OS of your device.
In order to make sure that you will successfully flash this RootBOX Jelly Bean custom ROM, you will have to make sure that you correctly prepare your Samsung Fascinate device using the guidelines below:
- Use this ROM and the files you’ll find in this post only for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Fascinate model number SCH-I500. Don’t attempt to update any other Galaxy S variants, as you will end up bricking them.
- Your phone has to be rooted and running a custom Recovery image. Without these you won’t be able to flash any new custom ROMs.
- IMPORTANT: Use the custom Recovery mode and create a full NANDROID backup of your current ROM. This will act as a cover in case your device doesn’t want to boot with the new OS.
- The tutorial will ask you to wipe data and factory reset the Fascinate device, that’s why you might want to backup SMS, Call Logs and other similar data: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. Root access has to be granted for some of these tools.
- The contents of your internal and / or external SDcard will not be affected by the installation of this new ROM.
- Activate sync option for the Contacts feature in your Google account. This will make sure that all your phone numbers and other Contacts data will be stored to your Gmail account. If you don’t know how to do it, then you can use this guide here.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery is charged so that the device won’t power off in the middle of the updating process. The power charge level has to be over 50%.
- Read the entire post and note that we cannot be held responsible in case you will brick the phone in the process. Also, we cannot be blamed if you lose data files. That’s why it would be best for you to create a NANDROID backup of your current ROM.
- Don’t skip any steps that I’ve listed below.
These were all the preparation steps you had to go over before getting to the tutorial below.
How to flash RootBOX Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM for the Verizon Samsung Fascinate:
- Download the custom ROM zip from HERE. Don’t extract the contents of this file. You can download it to your PC or directly to your device.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.2.2 ROMs from HERE. Do not unzip the file and save it where you saved the ROM.
- If you downloaded these files to your PC, then you should connect the phone to computer. Move both files on to your phone’s internal SDcard and then, after the transfer is complete, disconnect the phone from PC.
- Power off your Samsung Fascinate.
- Boot it into CWM Recovery mode. It can be done by pressing Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons, all at the same time. Release the buttons when the screen shows the Recovery mode.
- Select ‘backup and restore’ option and create a full NANDROID backup of your current ROM. This will set a restore point for your device and you can use it in case your phone doesn’t boot with the new OS. Save the NANDROID backup file on your device’s internal SDcard for an easier future access.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm this process. This step will delete the contents of your phone’s /system partition. The contents of your internal and / or external SD card will not be wiped. When this step is complete you should continue to the next step.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ now and then select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option. Find the RootBox Fascinate ROM zip and confirm that you want to install it. Get to the next step when the install is complete.
- Now, select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ once again. Find the Gapps zip and confirm that you want to install it.
- When both files are successfully flashed you should return to the main custom Recovery menu.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ option and wait at least 5 minutes for the first boot process of RootBOX Jelly Bean ROM to be completed.
- Enter your Google Account details and then take control over your phone. Test all the news features and report any bugs you might find in the process.
These were all the steps you had to take. In case the first boot process doesn’t complete after 10 minutes or the phone enters a boot loop, then you will have to power off the device completely. After a few seconds you will need to restart it into CWM Recovery mode. Repeat the entire tutorial once again and the second time you will have to make sure that you apply all the steps listed above.
In case you don’t like this new ROM, you can easily restore the NANDROID backup of your previous ROM using the Custom Recovery mode. If you have any other questions please post them in our comments and we will try to offer you viable solutions.
Remember that this is a custom ROM and not a OTA Update released by Verizon or Samsung. You might find errors and bugs, which is why I’ve told you to create a NANDROID backup of your previous ROM. Since it is unofficial ROM then it might not be very stable and we cannot be blamed for that. If you find any major bugs, then you can post them at the RootBOX for Samsung Fascinate XDA thread here.
Warning: file_get_contents(https://plusone.google.com/u/0/_/+1/fastbutton?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.android.gs%2Finstall-rootbox-android-4-2-2-jelly-bean-custom-rom-for-the-verizon-samsung-fascinate%2F): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 500 Internal Server Error in /home/android/public_html/wp-content/themes/v3/func.php on line 155