The RootBOX ROM is a somewhat popular custom ROM and now, its developers managed to release their new version for the Galaxy S3 I9300 smartphone. Use all the instructions that I have listed in this post and you will learn how to properly flash this ROM. Note that this guide is for advanced Android users and you should flash it, only if you know what you’re doing.
RootBOX custom ROM is based on AOKP build 3 Jelly Bean firmware and it has been bundled together by bajee11, an XDA recognized contributor. It brings numerous new functions and improved features. Before installing this ROM you should read the prep guide and you’ll learn what tools you can use to backup all your important data files.
Note that this custom ROM comes with features from both, AOKP and CM10, community developing teams and this means that you are in for a few surprises. Now that you know all this general info, move to the preparation guide. Here’s what you need to know:
- this tutorial works exclusively with the Galayx S3 model number I9300. Verify the phone version by opening Settings and then checking the ‘About device’ menu. If the model number is not I9300, then you should skip this guide and search a tutorial that is destined for your phone.
- Now that you’ve established that RootBOX Jelly Bean custom ROM is for your I9300, you should backup all the important data files. Move all these files on your device’s internal SDcard or on your computer. This will prove to be useful in case something goes wrong while you’re flashing the new ROM.
- It will work only with rooted devices that have the CWM / TWRP Recovery installed.
- Use the custom recovery mode or the ROM Manager app to create a full ROM backup of the currently installed OS.
- Backup a list of saved apps, SMS, Call Logs and the APN internet settings with these tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android.
- Sync all your saved Contacts with Gmail.
- Remember to recharge your phone’s battery. This will prevent it from powering off while you’re flashing this new custom ROM.
- Enable USB debugging option.
- This guide is for advanced users and you shouldn’t blame us in case your phone gets bricked in the process.
- Use the comments section to post all your other questions. Make sure that you won’t skip any steps listed in the tutorial.
I think that these are all the instructions that you had to read before beginning the install process for this new ROM. Note that in case you stumble upon any roadblocks, then you should ask for more help in our comments section.
How to update Galaxy S3 I9300 with RootBOX Jelly Bean ROM
- Download the RootBOX custom ROM from HERE. Save it on your PC desktop and don’t extract its contents.
- Next, download the Gapps for Jelly Bean from HERE. Make sure that you download the file for Jelly Bean only and don’t extract it.
- Now connect your I9300 device to your computer. Move both zip files on the smartphone’s internal sdcard. When the transfer is complete you should unplug the phone from PC.
- Power off your smartphone and boot into CWM Recovery mode. Do it by pressing at the same time ‘volume up, home and power’ buttons. When the screen powers ON you should release the buttons.
- In case you didn’t create a full backup of the ROM, then you should use the ‘backup and restore’ option in CWM Recovery and create one. When you’re done, move to the next step. In case you don’t want to create a backup, the disregard this step.
- Now, select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm this process. This will delete all apps, contacts and all other settings. Note that the contents of the internal sdcard will remain intact.
- Next, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the RootBOX ROM zip and install it.
- After the custom ROM is installed successfully, you need to repeat step 7 in order to flash / install the ‘Gapps’ zip file. After you install this zip, you should return to the main recovery menu.
- Select ‘reboot system now’. Now your I9300 phone will start its first boot process into RootBOX ROM. Note that this will take no more than 5 minutes.
- After the first boot is complete you should see the main Jelly Bean home screen. Enter your Google account details and take control over all your phone’s functions and features.
- Test the ROM and tell us in comments if you find any problems with it.
In case the first boot process takes over 10 minutes to complete, then you should power off the device, remove its battery, re-insert it and then boot into CWM Recovery mode again. Repeat the entire tutorial starting with step 4. Eventually you should be able to flash all the custom ROM files.
These were all the instructions that you had to apply. I hope that you managed to complete the tutorial and that the ROM has installed successfully. Remember that you can ask for more help by posting in comments, at the end of this post.