Install RufDroid Jelly Bean ROM on Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 (Android 4.2.1 custom ROM)
The Galaxy Nexus GSM International variant gets a brand new Android 4.2.1 custom ROM and you can use this guide to learn how to flash it on your device. This is custom ROM that is a named RufDroid and it has been created by TeamShogun. Read the entire tutorial that I’ve posted in this post and you should be able to complete the installation in no time.
The RufDroid Jelly Bean custom ROM has been uploaded to XDA community forums. It brings other extra modifications such as the SuperSU, BusyBox, init.d patch support, it is fully deodexed, it included the latest Gapps for Jelly Bean, stock Google lock and multiple others. It currently comes as an experimental build of Android 4.2.1 but it still is very stable and, if you’re a tinkerer, then you should give it a try.
Before starting to update the phone, read the guidelines below:
- Install the RufDroid JB custom ROM only on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 smartphone. Do not attempt to flash this ROM on any other devices.
- The phone should be on unlocked bootloader, rooted and running the CWM Recovery. If your device doesn’t meet these requirements then you should use this guide here to do it.
- Use CWM Recovery to create a full NANDROID backup of the currently installed ROM. This will be used as a backup in case you cannot boot your device after installing the RufDroid custom ROM.
- You can save a list of installed apps and you can also backup SMS, Call Log and the APN Internet Settings using these apps for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android. Grant them root access.
- Save your Contacts by syncing them with your Gmail account. Use the same Google Account after installing the new ROM in order to restore all your phone numbers.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery power levels are over 50%, as you wouldn’t want it to power off during the install of RufDroid Jelly Bean 4.2.1 ROM.
- This is a guide for advanced Android users. You can’t blame us in case something goes wrong and you cannot use your device after installing the ROM. Also, we cannot be held responsible if you lose any data in the process.
- Make sure to read the entire tutorial and install the new Android 4.2.1 custom ROM only after you’re sure that you know what you’re doing. In case you have problems completing the install, you should ask for more help in our comments section.
These were all the guidelines you had to read. Move to the next part of this post and learn how to install a custom Jelly Bean ROM on your device.
How to flash RufDroid Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250:
- Download the RufDroid by Team Shogun ROM from HERE.
- Download the RufDroid Kernel Gov Fix from HERE.
- Connect your phone to your PC and then copy the files listed here onto its internal SDcard. Disconnect the phone from PC when the files are successfully moved.
- Power off your Galaxy Nexus I9250. Boot it inton CWM Recovery now ( TWRP Recovery is also fine). You can enter custom recovery mode by pressing ‘volume down’, ‘volume up’ and ‘power’ buttons at the same time. This will load the Fastboot mode and you need to select ‘Recovery’ from its options.
- When the phone is in Recovery mode you can first select ‘backup and restore’ option and then confirm that you want to create such restore point. If you already have a ROM nandroid backup, then you can skip this step.
- Now, select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm this process.
- Next, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the RufDroid custom ROM zip and install it. Confirm this process and then get to the next step.
- Return to the main recovery screen and then select’ reboot system now’.
- Wait for the Galaxy Nexus to boot into normal mode. Then, open the App drawer and launch SuperSU app. Update the binaries.
- Now, you need to power off the device again and then boot into CWM Recovery once again.
- Select again ‘install zip from sdcard’ and ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Flash the RufDroid kernel gov fix zip file. Confirm this process and then return to the main custom recovery screen.
- Choose ‘reboot system now’.
- Enter your Google Account and then begin to test the new RufDroid Android 4.2.1 JB custom ROM.
These were all the instructions that you had to follow and now you should test all the features of this new ROM. If you find any problems or errors then you should tell other users by leaving a comment at the end of this post.
In case you cannot complete the update, then you should leave a detailed comment at the end of this post and tell us exactly which steps you took and, where you got stuck. Also, if you don’t like this new ROM, then you should use the ROM backup created before installing RufDroid Android 4.2.1 on your Galaxy Nexus I9250.