The Exynos-based Galaxy S5 G900H device has received a port based on the Galaxy S7 Edge Android 6.0.1 ROM. Check the info listed in this post in order to learn how to successfully flash this new custom ROM on your device.
The S7 Edge Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow port brings the following features and functions: based on G900HXXU1CPH5 Marshmallow September 2016 firmware, full S7 Edge and S5 apps, several Note 7 apps, rooted, zipaligned, deodexed, busybox support, init.d support, 200% Knox removed completely, removed some bloatware, Note 7 Edge Panel, Air Command, edge lightning, fingerprint works in supported apps besides Lockscreen, and more.
Known bugs: can’t set time manually, so you need to go to Settings> Data and Time to select “automatic date and time”, Nightclick & always-on-display, fingerprint on lockscreen. If you find any other major bugs, then feel free to report it straight to the custom ROM developer.
If you like this custom ROM and you will decide to upgrade it in the future, then you can google it by entering “Wanted ROM Galaxy S7 edge Port for Galaxy S5 Exynos, and you should be able to find any extra update files in this way.
Before starting the installation process you should check the guidelines below:
- this tutorial will work only for the Exynos variant of the Samsung Galayx S5 G900H.
– check your phone’s version under Settings> About Phone and make sure that the SM – G900H value is set.
- do not attempt to install the files that you will find in this post on any other different Android devices.
- your phone has to be rooted and it should be running the latest TWRP Custom Recovery build.
– make sure to upgrade the installed Recovery to its latest version, so that you will be able to install the new firmware easily.
- in the tutorial you will find two extra preparation steps like the NANDROID Backup and the Factory Reset ones.
– the NANDROID Backup will create a restore point for your phone, a file that can be used to repair the phone in case the new custom ROM doesn’t boot.
– the Factory Reset has to be applied in order to remove the custom ROM and to force your phone to boot in normal mode.
– Factory Resetting the device will wipe clean the system partition, but it won’t delete any data files from your phone’s internal storage.
- in case you need to backup any files before the installation you can use Helium tool for Android devices.
– also, just to be sure, you should backup any important file before starting the update.
- check the entire tutorial first and do not skip any steps.
- this is a guide that you should apply only if you are an advanced user, we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose important data in the process.
- check your device’s battery charge level, make sure that there is at least 40% charge left, as this will prevent the phone from powering off during the installation.
- now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to install S7 Edge Android 6.0.1 Port for the Exynos Galaxy S5 G900H:
Note that in case you are coming from KitKat or Lollipop, then you will have to upgrade first to Marshmallow before installing this ROM. If you’re on Marshmallow, then you should continue with the installation after making sure that the TWRP Recovery is upgraded to its latest possible version.
- Download the custom ROM zip from here.
– save the file on your PC.
- Transfer the S7 Edge Port ROM file to your Galaxy S5 internal storage.
– after the file is copied you can disconnect the phone from PC.
- Power off the phone.
- Boot it in TWRP Recovery Mode.
- First you should create the NANDROID BACKUP:
– select ‘backup’, check all the partition files you wish to backup and confirm.
- Now you need to factory reset the device:
– go to WIPE menu: select ‘dalvik/art cache’, ‘data’, ‘system’, ‘internal storage’, ‘cache’, and ‘preload’.
– Confirm process.
- Next, go to Install option.
- Find and load the S7 Edge Android 6.0.1 zip file and load it.
- Confirm installation of this new custom ROM.
- Reboot your phone in normal mode after the installation is done.
Note that the first boot process of this new custom ROM is going to take at least 15 minutes before it loads all the new files.
I hope that you have managed to complete the installation, and that you are already testing all the new features and functions. In case you cannot complete this guide, then you can head to XDA here and check the developer’s post for more info.