Install Serenity JB custom ROM on T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 T999
The Serenity JB is a custom ROM that has been ported from the Official T-Mobile Galaxy Note 2 firmware. You can learn how to successfully flash this new custom ROM on your device by only applying the instructions I’ve listed in this post. Read all info and you should use this ROM only if you’re a tinkerer and you like testing new Jelly Bean ROMs.
It features the multi-window feature, an improved T-Mobile build prop, updated system base, csc and many many other improved components. This Serenity Jelly Bean custom ROM has been released by ‘drewargen’, an XDA member and developer, and it is still in its testing phase which means that it might have some bugs and errors.
Use this custom ROM only after you’ve made a full NANDROID backup of the ROM your device is currently sporting. If you want to correctly install Serenity custom ROM on your T-Mobile Galaxy S3 then you will have to follow the guidelines below:
- Use this tutorial only with the T-Mobile Galaxy S3 model number T999. Do not attempt to flash the files you find in this post on any other Android device.
- Your phone has to be rooted and running CWM Recovery image. Such guides can be found in our Samsung Galaxy S3 section.
- Use ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery to create a full backup of your current Android OS. It will act as cover for your device in case you cannot boot it into normal mode after installing Serenity ROM.
- If you want, you can save a list of installed apps, you can backup SMS, Call Logs and APN Internet Settings using the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. Some of these apps will ask for root access.
- Sync your Contacts with your Gmail account before installing the new ROM. The tutorial will ask you to wipe data and factory reset the device which will delete apps, contacts, sms and all other data stored on the /system partition.
- Enable USB debugging option from the Developer Options menu in your phone’s Settings.
- Charge the device’s battery so that it won’t power off during the installation of this new ROM.
- We cannot be held responsible for any problems that you’re device might develop after installing Serenity JB ROM. Remember that this ROM is only for testing purposes and if you’re not a power user, then you should avoid installing it.
- Read all the instructions listed in the tutorial and make sure that you don’t skip any steps listed below.
Now that you know all of the above, then you should continue to the next part of this article and learn how to successfully flash a custom ROM on your Android smartphone.
How to flash Serenity JB custom ROM on your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 T999:
- Download the custom ROM zip file from HERE. Don’t extract the zip contents and leave the file on your PC desktop screen.
- Connect the smartphone to your PC with the USB cable. Move the zip file on your smartphone’s internal SDcard and then disconnect the device from PC when the file is copied.
- Power off the device and then boot it into CWM Recovery mode. It can be done by pressing at the same time Volume Up, Home and Power. Let the buttons go only when the custom recovery menu appears.
- If you don’t have a ROM backup of the current OS, then you should select ‘backup and restore’ option from the CWM Recovery menu. Create a backup and when you’re done you should get to the next step or, if you don’t want to create one then you can totally skip this step.
- Choose ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm that you want apply such action.
- Next, select ‘install zip from SDcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Serenity custom ROM zip file and install it.
- When the ROM installs you will need to select ‘Advanced’ and then ‘Fix Permissions’; it can be found at the main recovery selection menu. Confirm that you want to fix permissions.
- Return to the CWM Recovery main screen and now you can select ‘reboot system now’.
- Wait for the T-Mo SGS3 to complete the Serenity ROM first boot process and then take control over your device again by entering the details of your Google Account.
- Test the new ROM and tell us in comments if you find any major bugs.
These were all the steps you had to take. Make sure that you test all the functions and features of Serenity custom ROM. In case you don’t like this new ROM, then you can easily use ClockworkMod Recovery and restore the previous Android OS using the NANDROID backup file created before getting to the tutorial.
If the ROM doesn’t install at the first attempt or the first boot process takes too long, then you should power off the device. Repeat the entire tutorial starting with step 3 and you should be able to flash Serenity ROM on your Galaxy S3 T999 at your second / third attempt. That’s why I’ve told that this is only a testing ROM and it might have some bugs.