Verizon Galaxy Nexus has received its first Android 4.4 KK custom ROM called ‘Shinny OTA-Like’ by ‘baldwinguy77′, RootzWiki member and developer. Read this entire tutorial and you’ll learn how to successfully flash this custom KitKat ROM on your device without bricking it.
Shiny OTA-Like name comes from the fact that the developer doesn’t change too many things about this release. It is mostly the official Android 4.4 KitKat AOSP ROM with only a couple of modifications added. Almost everything works correctly.
The main features of this custom ROM as following: the Android 4.4 build KRT16M, kernel built from AOSP source, deodexed, easy to root, Gapps included, Google Chrome, Shiny restart options added and others.
The following things should work correctly: Wi-Fi tether, bluetooth streaming, Google Wallet, Google Account sign-in along with auto-restore of settings and apps, Location Services, Photosphere, Android beam, Email, photo editing with new filters, exchange support, data, voice, HW acceleration, SMS etc. There aren’t any major bugs found. In case you find any bugs then you should head to RootzWiki Shiny Android 4.4 custom ROM web page here.
Read the preparation guide below before installing the ROM:
- Use this post only for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus smartphone.
- don’t try to flash this custom ROM on any other device.
- Your VZW Galaxy Nexus has to be rooted, factory unlocked and running the latest CWM Recovery image.
- without these requirements being met you cannot complete the guide.
- Factory Reset will be needed for this new ROM to install correctly.
- the factory reset process will remove contents only from the system partition, while the internal storage won’t be affected by it.
- A NANDROID Backup is required for your smartphone before installing the new ROM.
- this will set a restore point for your phone and it will prove to be very helpful in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
- Backup data from installed apps using Helium app here.
- Backup SMS text messages, call logs info and APN Internet Settings with these apps: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access is needed for these apps.
- Sync People details and Contacts details with your Gmail account.
- guide listed here for those who don’t know how to do it.
- Enable USB debugging for your device from developer options.
- This is a guide for advanced users and you shouldn’t blame us in case you brick the phone or lose
- Check the battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, so that the device won’t switch off in the middle of the updating process.
- Read the entire post and don’t skip any steps listed in the tutorial.
- If you cannot complete the tutorial, then you should ask for more help in comments.
How to flash Shiny OTA-Like Android 4.4 custom ROM for Verizon Galaxy Nexus:
- Download the custom ROM from here.
- Download the Chainfire Superuse Root zip from here.
- Download the Radios Installation zip from here.
- Download the bootloader installation zip from here.
- Connect your phone to you computer and then move all four zip files on the internal storage.
- don’t extract the archived contents.
- after the files are copied, then you should disconnect the VZW Galaxy Nexus from PC.
- Power off the phone now.
- Boot the Verizon Galaxy Nexus in CWM Recovery Mode:
- first you need to boot Bootloader mode, then select Recovery and press Power to boot CWM.
- First, create the NANDROID Backup of your current ROM using the ‘Backup and restore’ option. Save the file on your internal storage.
- Now, select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm.
- do not skip this step.
- if you skip the wipe data process, then your device won’t boot in normal mode.
- Flash the Radio zip by selecting ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ‘FK01_FK02_Radios-signed.zip’ file and confirm installation.
- Next, flash the Bootloader. Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ‘PRIMEMD04_Bootlaoder-signed.zip’. Confirm.
- Now you can install the Shiny Custom OTA Like Android 4.4 ROM:
- select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- Find the ‘baldwinguy77_toro_aosp_110513-015450-signed.zip’ and confirm that you wish to install it.
- After the ROM is installed, select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Flash the ‘UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65′ zip to re-apply root.
- When all the four zip files are installed, return to the main CWM Recovery menu.
- Reboot your phone now.
- note that the first boot process takes at least several minutes to complete.
- in case your device doesn’t boot after ten minutes, it enters into a boot loop or it freezes at the boot animation, then you will have to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- If everything went according to plan, then you should see the KitKat home screen, Enter your Google Account info and take control over the device.
If you have any other questions or you cannot complete the tutorial, then you should ask for more help in comments.