There is a new Jelly Bean 4.1.1 based custom ROM available for the Skyrocket Galaxy S2 device and it is called Slim Bean. Use this guide to learn how to successfully install the ROM on your device.
Slim Bean is a custom Jelly Bean-based ROM that comes as a light package for Android devices. It uses very few resources and it should be a testing installation for Android users and owners of the AT&T variant of Galaxy S2 SkyRocket. I’m saying that this should be used for testing purposes only because the ROM is in its development stage and this means that it might still pack some bugs, while some JB-based functions might not work correctly.
Before we can begin the installation of this new custom ROM, you should first read the preparation guidelines. These are listed below and only after you’re done reading them, you can begin the installation of Slim Bean custom ROM on your I727 AT&T Galaxy S2 Skyrocket device. Here’s what you need to know:
- This update has been solely designed to work with the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket AT&T variant with the model number I727. Check the version of your phone by opening Settings and then looking at the info listed under ‘About device’.
- Do not attempt to install it on any other US variant of S2 as it won’t work and you might end up bricking that particular device.
- Create a full Nandroid backup of the existing ROM so that you won’t data lose. Use CWM / TWRP Recovery to create a backup or the ROM Manager. You will find a step in the tutorial that tells you how to backup using recovery mode.
- Apps, Call Logs, APN Internet Settings and the SMS text messages can be saved using these tools for Android devices: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android. Note that these apps will work with rooted phones.
- Contacts should be synced with your Gmail profile. After the install is complete you can restore these back to your phone by entering the same Gmail account.
- Other important data files should be placed on your device’s internal SDcard as that one won’t be deleted by the ‘factory reset'; it’s a step that you’ll find in the tutorial.
- Enable USB debugging from the Android Development menu.
- Make sure that the phone’s battery charge level is over 50%. This will prevent the device from powering off during the installation of Slim Bean.
- This custom ROM should be installed by advanced Android users. You shouldn’t blame us in case you damage your device or in case you lose any important data file.
- Move to the tutorial only when you’re sure that you’ve backed up all your files so that you won’t too much while installing the ROM.
These are all the guidelines that you had to read prior to installing the custom ROM. Make sure that you don’t skip any steps that I’ve listed in the ‘how-to’ guide below.
How to update AT&T Galaxy S2 Skyrocket I727 with Slim Bean custom ROM
- Download the Slim Bean ROM from HERE. Save the file on your PC and do not extract the files comprised within the zip.
- Download Google Apps file from HERE and manage it just like the custom ROM zip.
- Connect your phone to your PC using the USB cable. Move both the ROM and the Gapps files on the smartphone’s internal sd card. When the transfer is complete you should disconnect the device from PC.
- Power off your AT&T Galaxy S2 SkyRocket completely. Boot into CWM Recovery mode by pressing at the same time the following buttons: volume up + volume down + power. After the device boots successfully you should release the buttons.
- Select ‘backup and restore’. Create a full backup of the existing ROM and this will serve as an alternative in case your device stops working after your install Slim Bean. If you already have made a full backup of the existing ROM, then you should skip this step and move on to the next one.
- Choose ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option now and confirm that you want to apply such action. After the data wipe is finished you should move to the next step.
- Next, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Browse your device for the Slim Bean custom ROM zip. Confirm its installation.
- Now, after the ROM has been installed, you should flash the ‘Gapps Slim’ zip. Proceed just like you did with the ROM. After this installation is complete you should return to the main recovery screen.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ option.
- Wait for the first boot process to complete. Note that the Slim Bean first boot will take at least 5 minutes to load, but, in case this takes over 15 minutes then it means that something went wrong and you should power off the device complete and repeat the entire tutorial. If the phone booted normally, then you should disregard this step.
- Enter your Google Account details and that should do it, the custom ROM has been installed and now you can test the lightweight Jelly Bean on your SkyRocket Galaxy S2 phone.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to flash a brand new custom ROM. In case you cannot complete the install, then you should ask for more help in our comments field and we should come up with a solution to your problems.
Remember that this is an unofficial Jelly Bean firmware and you should always keep a working backup of another ROM. If you want to restore that backup, then you should use the Recovery mode. If you wish to learn more about your device and find other helpful Skyrocket guides, then you should click the device’s name listed under this article’s featured photo.