The SlimBean custom ROM based on Android 4.3 is now available as a stable build for Verizon Galaxy Nexus. Read this entire tutorial and you should be able to flash all the files successfully without bricking your device.
This is a custom ROM that is somewhat smaller than other popular ones such as CyanogenMod, AOKP, Paranoid Android etc. However, it still packs the AOSP Android 4.3 Jelly and it adds its own features but it uses a whole lot less memory when compared to bigger ROMs. If you want more info about this release, then you can find it here.
If you want to flash this new custom ROM at your first attempt, then you should take a look at the guidelines below:
- This guide will only work for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus.
- Don’t attempt to flash these files on any other different Galaxy Nexus variant.
- Your device has to be on an unlocked bootloader, rooted and running a custom Recovery image such as CWM or TWRP.
- In the tutorial part of this post you’ll find the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ step. This is needed as you have to apply a SlimBean clean installation.
- factory reset removes all data from the system partition, while the internal storage will remain the same.
- If you want to backup data from applications that are currently installed on your device, then you should use Titanium Backup or Helium apps.
- SMS, Call Logs info and APN Internet Settings can be backed up using the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access is needed for some of these apps.
- In order to save phone numbers and other Contacts data you should sync them with your default Gmail account.
- if you don’t know how to do that, then you can use the info listed here.
- It would be best for you to create a full NANDROID Backup of the ROM that is now running on your Verizon Galaxy Nexus.
- this set a restore point for your device and it can be used in case the phone doesn’t boot with the new ROM or you don’t like how your device works with SlimBean Android 4.3 ROM.
- Enable USB Debugging from the Developer Options menu.
- Make sure that the phone’s battery has enough power left before it switches off. In case the device powers off in the middle of the updating process, then you should repeat the entire tutorial.
- This is a guide for advanced users. Do not attempt to flash this custom ROM in case you don’t know what you’re doing.
- Note that we cannot be held responsible in case you brick the device or lose any important data in the process.
- Read the entire post and don’t skip any steps.
- If you’re having problems with the installation, then you can ask for help in comments.
How to flash SlimBean Android 4.3 Stable build for Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus:
- Download the custom ROM zip from here.
- get the latest build available.
- do not unzip the file.
- Download Slim-Gapps for this ROM from here.
- do not extract the contents.
- this file has to be flashed in order to add all Google-based apps that your device needs.
- Connect your device with your PC now using the USB data cable.
- Move both zip files to your Verizon Galaxy Nexus internal storage.
- when the files are copied, unplug the phone from computer.
- Power off the smartphone now.
- Boot it into Bootloader mode and then into Custom Recovery Mode.
- both the CWM and TWRP Recoveries are working with this guide.
- First thing that you need to do in Recovery mode is to create a NANDROID Backup for your device’s current ROM:
- CWM: select ‘backup and restore’ option and then save the ROM Backup to your phone’s internal storage.
- TWRP: use the Backup option, then select the system files you wish to save. Confirm the process.
- Next, apply ‘factory reset’:
- CWM: use the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm.
- TWRP: press Wipe, then Factory Reset button. Confirm.
- Now you can finally install the new custom ROM file:
- CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip form sdcard’. Find the SlimBean toro 4.3 zip and confirm its installation.
- TWRP: press Install, find the SlimBean toro 4.3 zip file and load it into TWRP. Swipe the blue button in order to start the install process for the new custom ROM.
- After the SlimBean Android 4.3 ROM is installed, you will need to repeat step 9 actions and flash the Slim_Gapps file too.
- When both files are installed you can return to the main custom Recovery screen. Reboot your device in normal mode.
- note that the first boot process of this ROM takes somewhere between five and ten minutes to load all files, which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons until the home screen appears.
- The Android 4.3 SlimBean Stable ROM home screen will load and you simply have to enter your Google Account info. Take control over your device and start testing all the new features and other important files.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully flash this new custom ROM for your Verizon Galaxy Nexus.
If the first boot process takes more than ten minutes to load, the phone enters into a boot loop, then the installation was not completed. That’s why you will have to repeat the entire tutorial once again but, this time, make sure that you apply all the steps listed above.
In case you don’t like this new ROM or the phone doesn’t work as expected then you can always use the ROM NANDROID Backup file created in step 6 and restore your Verizon Galaxy Nexus to its previous state.