The original Samsung Galaxy S smartphone is till supported by the SlimROMs developing team and now you can flash the SlimKat 4.4.4 Weekly 8.20 on it. This is a custom ROM that’s based on Android 4.4.4 KitKat AOSP which means that one of the oldest Android devices is still supported by various custom ROM developers.
Before starting the installation process of this new ROM you will have to read the guidelines below and correctly configure the smartphone. Here’s what you need to know:
- use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S I9000.
– check the model number of your device and make sure that it is the correct one.
- your device has to be rooted and running the latest CWM or TWRP custom Recovery.
– without these requirements you won’t be able to flash any custom ROMs on your smartphone.
- before installing the new ROM you will find two extra steps like the NANDROID ROM Backup and Factory Reset.
– do not skip those steps.
– the NANDROID ROM Backup creates a full restore point for your smartphone, one that you can use in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
– the ‘factory reset’ will wipe all the data installed by the previous ROM and it will remove all files from the system partition.
– ‘factory reset’ won’t delete any data from the internal storage.
- in case you wish to save data from installed apps or to save some text messages, then you can try to use Helium tool for Android.
- Contacts data can be synced with the default Gmail account that you’ve assigned for your device.
- check the battery power level and make sure that it is over 50%, it will prevent the device from powering down during the installation process.
- this is a guide that has to be used by advanced Android users, do not blame us in case you end up losing any data files in the process nor in case you brick the phone.
- read the whole guide and make sure not to skip any steps in order to complete the installation at your first attempt.
Now that you know all that you can continue to the next part of this post.
Remember that since this custom ROM is based on Android 4.4.4, then it might not run very smoothly on your Galaxy S I9000. Install this ROM on a device that you don’t use on a daily basis.
How to install SlimKat Android 4.4.4 Weekly 8.20 ROM for Galaxy S I9000:
- Download the custom ROM zip from here.
- Download Gapps for this ROM here.
- Connect your smartphone to your PC via USB Cable and then transfer both files on to its internal storage.
– do not unzip the files.
– after the files are transferred you can disconnect the device from computer.
– if you’ve downloaded the files straight to your device, then you can skip this step.
- Switch off your smartphone now.
- Next, boot it in Custom Recovery Mode:
– press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons, all at the same time.
– release the buttons after the Custom Recovery Mode menu loads.
– note that this guide works with both CWM and TWRP recovery variants.
- Create a NANDROID Backup:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’.
– TWRP: press Backup.
– set a name for the file and confirm process.
- Set a ‘factory reset’ for your device:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
– TWRP: press Wipe.
- Now you can initiate the SlimKat 4.4.4 ROM installation:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
– TWRP: press Install.
- Find the ROM zip file and confirm its installation.
- When the SlimKat ROM is flashed you can install the Gapps zip, too. Use the same options as in step 8 in order to find the Gapps zip.
- When all the files are installed with success you can reboot the phone in normal mode.
– note that the first boot process of your new ROM will take a while before it loads all the new files.
- Use your login details in order to take complete control over your smartphone once again.
In case you need any more help, then you should use the comments field below.
If the process fails, then feel free to repeat the whole guide more than once, but make sure not to skip any steps.