The Galaxy S2 I9100G TI OMAP phone has received its own build of SlimKat Android 4.4.2 and you can use this post in order to learn how to successfully update it. Read the entire post and you should be able to complete the tutorial in not time without bricking its firmware.
SlimKat Android 4.4.2 is obviously based on stock Kitkat and it packs features from CM, Paranoid Android and from other popular custom ROMs. Read the extra info at the XDA thread here for a better view on this release.
Before starting the installation you should first take a look at the guidelines below:
- Use this guide only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100G.
– don’t attempt to flash the ROM that you will find in this post on any other Galaxy S2 model.
- Your Galaxy S2 I9100G has to be rooted and running the latest CWM Recovery image installed.
– TWRP Recovery should work too, as long as it is updated to support KitKat custom ROMs.
- You will need to create a full NANDROID Backup file for the installed ROM.
– it sets a restore point for your device, one that can be used in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode, or in case you simply don’t like the new ROM and you wish to return to a previous OS version.
– this step is listed in the tutorial too.
- Factory Reset is also required, it will wipe all data from system partition.
– Factory Reset doesn’t remove data from internal nor external storage.
– The step is listed in the tutorial and you shouldn’t skip it.
- If you want to backup data from installed apps and SMS text messages, then you can use the Helium tool for Android – link here.
- Sync your Contacts data with your default Gmail account.
– more info here for those that don’t know how to do it.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- Check the phone’s battery power, make sure that it is over 50% so that it won’t switch off in the middle of the updating process.
- This guide is for advanced Android users, do not use the tutorial in case you’re a beginner.
- Read the entire post, don’t skip any steps and don’t blame us in case you lose data or you brick the phone.
- If you cannot complete the guide, then you can ask for more help in comments.
Now that you know all of the above, continue to the next part of this post.
How to flash SlimKat Android 4.4.2 ROM for Galaxy S2 I9100G:
- Download the custom ROM from here.
– get the latest build.
- Download Gapps for this ROM from here.
– get one of the builds listed at that SlimROM page.
- Connect your phone to your PC, then move both zip files to your smartphone’s internal storage.
– disconnect the phone from computer when all files are copied successfully.
> do not unzip the contents.
- Power off your Galaxy S2 now.
- Boot the phone in CWM Recovery Mode:
– do it by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons.
> release the buttons when the custom Recovery menu appears.
- First you will need to create a full NANDROID Backup for the installed Galaxy S2 I9100G ROM:
– select ‘backup and restore’, then name the file and confirm.
- Now you have to apply a Factory Reset:
– select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option, confirm process.
- Finally, install the SlimKat Android 4.4.2 ROM for your Galaxy S2:
– select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’, find the ROM file and confirm its installation.
- Next, repeat step 8 actions and flash the Gapps zip too.
- When both files are installed you should return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your smartphone in normal mode now.
– note that the first boot process takes a while to complete, which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons until you see the home screen of this new ROM.
- Enter your Google Account info when you wish to take full control over your device.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the update of your smartphone. Now you can start testing all of its new features and functions.
In case the first attempt at installing the ROM fails you should try to repeat the entire post. Also, if the device enters into a boot loop, then the same action has to be taken, repeat installation. Make sure that in case you decide to re-install the SlimKat ROM, then you won’t skip any steps listed above. Besides the Factory Reset action you should also apply the ‘format /system’ one.
If you don’t like how the SlimKat ROM works with your Galaxy S2 I9100G, then you should try to restore it to its previous OS using the instructions listed in step 6.
I hope that you’ve found this guide helpful and that in case you have any other questions, then you will use the comments field below. Make sure to leave a detailed comment so that we will be able to come up with a viable solution for whatever problem you might encounter in your quest to flash a custom KitKat ROM on your Galaxy S2 I9100G phone.