SlimKat ROM team has launched their first build based on AOSP Android 4.4.2 for you to install on your Galaxy S I9100. This is a guide that is easy to follow and learn how to successfully install the custom ROM on your phone.
Use this post only if you’re planning on testing a KitKat ROM, don’t update your device if you’re thinking on using the new ROM on a daily basis. SlimKat is only in its first stage of development, which means that you might find some small bugs during testing. Learn more about this release by visiting the developer’s web page here or go to XDA thread here.
Before starting the installation process of this new ROM you will first have to take a look at the preparation guide below:
- Use this tutorial only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100.
- this guide will not work with any other smartphones nor devices.
- your phone has to be rooted and running the latest CWM Recovery image.
- TWRP will also work.
- note that you have to update the custom Recovery image to its latest version before starting installation of this new ROM, as otherwise you cannot flash a KitKat custom ROM.
- Backup data from installed applications using Helium for Android app from here.
- Sync Contacts info with your Gmail account.
- more info on how to do this is listed in our article here.
- This guide is for advanced Android users, do not attempt to update the device in case you are a beginner.
- Enable USB Debugging from Deveveloper Options menu.
- Check the phone’s battery charge level and make sure that there is at least 40% left before the device switches off completely.
- Read this entire guide and make sure that you won’t skip any steps that I have listed below.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to successfully flash a KitKat ROM for your smartphone.
Remember that this new release will flash KitKat 4.4.2 and this might reduce the battery life of your phone. Install the ROM at your own risk, despite the fact that SliMKat only features the minimum bundle of KitKat elements, functions and features.
How to flash SlimKat Android 4.4.2 Stable ROM for Galaxy S2 I9100:
- Download the latest build version from here.
- Download Gapps for this ROM from here.
- Connect the device to your computer, then move both zip files to your device’s internal storage.
- after the files are copied you can disconnect the phone from PC.
- do not unzip the contents of the zip files.
- Power off your Galaxy S2.
- Now you have to boot it in Custom Recovery mode.
- if you don’t know how to boot recovery, then you can learn using the info here -> that guide is for Galaxy S3, it will work with Galaxy S2 too.
- First thing that you have to apply using CWM Recovery is to create a full NANDROID ROM Backup.
- select ‘backup and restore’, then name the file and confirm process.
- Next, apply the Factory Reset:
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm process.
- Now you can finally flash the new ROM:
- select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- find the ROM zip file and confirm the process.
- After the ROM is installed you need to repeat step 8 actions and flash Gapps zip too.
- When all files are flashed you need to return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your phone in normal mode.
- wait until the device completes the first boot process, as this might take several minutes.
- Enter your Google Account info and then take control over your device once again.
That’s it, now you’ve completed the installation of a brand new ROM on your Galaxy S2 I9100. If you have any other questions, use the comments field below.
Also, if the device doesn’t boot with the new ROM or you cannot complete the guide, then you can try to repeat the entire tutorial more than once. If the new SlimKat ROM doesn’t boot even after several installation attempts or you don’t like how your devices work’s with the new ROM, then you can always use the file created in step 6 and restore it to its previous OS status.