The Slim ROMs team has already started to work on releasing new builds of their popular custom ROM for the Google Nexus 4.
Until now, these builds were known as SlimBean, as it were based on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, while the new build are based on Android 4.4 KitKat hence the name SlimKat. More about this new version can be found at the developers web page here or at XDA thread here.
Read the guidelines below before starting the installation:
- Use this guide only with the Google Nexus 4 device.
– don’t attempt to update any other Android smartphones with the files you find here.
- The Nexus 4 that you’re about to update should be rooted and running the latest version of CWM Recovery.
- Factory Reset is required for this new ROM to install successfully. This process is listed in the tutorial too, so you shouldn’t skip it.
- Factory Reset deletes data from installed apps, but it won’t delete contents from the internal storage.
- Backup data from installed applications with Helium – Google Play Store link here.
- Backup SMS and APN Internet Settings with the following tools: SMS backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- Sync Contacts info with your default Gmail account.
– guide here for those who don’t know how to do it.
- NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM is required before starting the installation of SlimKat Alpha ROM.
– this step can be found in the tutorial.
– don’t skip it, as the ROM that you’re about to flash is in its alpha stage and it might present bugs that might force you to restore the device to its current state.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- Read the entire tutorial, don’t skip any steps and use the guide only if you know what you’re doing.
– don’t attempt to update your phone in case you’re a beginner, as you’ll risk bricking the device.
- Note that we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone or lose any important data in the process.
- Make sure that the power charge level of your device is over 50%, so that the phone won’t switch off in the middle of the updating process.
These were the guidelines that you had to go over. Now you can continue to the interesting part of this tutorial.
How to flash SlimKat Android 4.4 Alpha custom ROM for Nexus 4:
- Download the custom ROM zip from here.
- Download the Gapps for this custom ROM from here.
- Connect your Nexus 4 with your PC and move both zip files on your device’s internal storage.
– don’t unzip the files.
– disconnect the phone from computer when the process is done.
- Power off the device now.
- Boot your phone in CWM Recovery Mode now.
– if you don’t know how to do it, then you can find more info here.
- First, create the full NANDROID Backup of your currently installed ROM:
– select ‘backup and restore’, save the file and continue to the next step.
- Next, apply the ‘factory reset’ for your phone:
– select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm this process.
- Flash the new ROM by selecting ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the SlimKat custom ROM build and confirm its installation.
– note that the process will take several minutes to complete.
- After the ROM is installed you need to repeat step 8 and flash Gapps zip too.
- Return to the first CWM Recovery menu when both files are flashed successfully.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait for the Nexus 4 to complete the first boot process in Normal Mode.
– note that this first boot will take several minutes to complete, which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons until the home screen appears.
- Enter your Google Account details and take control over your smartphone.
Now that you’ve completed this tutorial you can start testing all of the new features and see how Android 4.4 custom ROM works with your Nexus 4. If you have any other questions, then you should post them in comments.
Also, if for any reason the new device doesn’t boot in normal mode with SlimKat, then you should repeat the entire tutorial. Make sure not to skip any steps and ask for extra help below.