The official Android 5.0.2 Lollipop-based SlimLP custom ROM is now in its “alpha” stage and you can use this post in order to install one of these builds on your smartphone.
If you own the US Cellular Galaxy S4 smartphone, then you can finally get a lite Lollipop ROM installed on it. The SlimLP custom ROM is based on AOSP Android 5.0.2 Lollipop and it is a lite ROM. If you want to learn more about this release read here.
This custom ROM is a test build and you should only install it for testing purposes only. You might find errors and bugs that might impede you from getting the best out of your device. Usually, this “alpha testing” phase shouldn’t take too long and after a month or two we should be able to receive a proper SlimLP Stable Custom ROM that’s based on Android 5.0 Lollipop.
So, install this new ROM on a smartphone that’s now your daily driver and make sure to report back to its developers in case you find two many errors and bugs while running it.
Check the guidelines below before starting the installation process of this new ROM for your Galaxy S4 US Cellular:
- use this post only with the US Cellular variant of the Galaxy S4.
– this phone’s codename is “jflteusc”.
– don’t use this guide in case you own a different model of the Galaxy S4.
- make sure that your phone is rooted and running the latest version of either CWM or TWRP custom Recovery.
– the installed custom Recovery image has to be updated with its latest build, so that it supports the installation of a new Android 5.0.2 Lollipop custom ROM.
- in the ‘how-to’ part of this post you will find two extra preparation steps: the NANDROID Backup and the Factory Reset.
– the NANDROID Backup creates a restore point for your device, one that can be used in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
– the ‘factory reset’ wipes the system partition of your device, that’s where the current ROM has stored all its files and you have to remove them.
– the ‘factory reset’ process doesn’t wipe any data in the process from the internal nor external storage
- if you want to save data from installed apps or any other files, then you can use the Helium tool for Android.
– sync Contacts data and People details with your default Gmail account.
- check the battery charge level of your device and make sure that it is over 50%, it prevents the device from powering down during installation.
- read the entire post, don’t skip any steps and do not blame us in case you brick the phone, nor in case you lose any data in the process.
Since you’ve read all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to successfully flash this new custom ROM for your phone.
How to flash SlimLP Android 5.0.2 Alpha 1 ROM for US Cellular Galaxy S4:
- Download the ROM zip file from here.
- Download Gapps for this SlimLP ROM here.
- Move the download zip files to your phone’s internal storage.
– do not unzip the contents of these files.
– disconnect the phone from PC after these are copied successfully.
– if you’ve used the phone to download the files, then you can skip this step.
- Power off the device and then boot it in Custom Recovery Mode.
- Create a NANDROID ROM Backup:
– for CWM select ‘backup and restore’, while for TWRP you should use the ‘Backup’ menu.
– set a name for this backup and confirm the process.
- Apply the ‘factory reset’:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
– TWRP: press Wipe.
– confirm the factory reset and continue with the next step after it’s done.
- Now you can begin the SlimLP Android 5.0.2 Alpha 1 ROM installation:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
– TWRP: press ‘install’
- Find the ROM zip file and confirm its installation process.
– don’t press any buttons until all files are flashed.
- When the SlimLP ROM has been installed you will need to find the Gapps zip and install it, too. Use the same options as in step 7 in order to find and flash Gapps file.
- Reboot your device in normal mode now.
NOTE: the first boot process of this new ROM takes a while before it loads all the new files. Do not press any buttons until the home screen / welcome menu is shown by this new ROM. If you need more help use the comments field below.
If the installation process fails, then you can easily try to repeat the whole guide more than once. Some custom ROMs might not stick at the first attempt of installing and you can keep trying to flash the SlimLP ROM until you get it to work correctly. Also, in case you decide to repeat the whole guide, then you need to make sure that you won’t skip any steps listed in the tutorial and that your phone meets all the requirements listed in the preparation guide above.