Install SmoothieJB ROM on Samsung Galaxy S Plus I9001 ( Based on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean )
The Galaxy S Plus model number I9001 received its own variant of Android 4.1.2 firmware as a custom ROM. You can learn how to successfully flash this new Jelly Bean ROM using all the info I’ve listed in the tutorial below.
SmoothieJB custom ROM for Galaxy S Plus has been released by Brahmnoor, an XDA member and developer. It comprises CM10 and BroodKernel v1.4 features. It is 100% bloatware-free and it is pretty stable. Since it is an older model, the Galaxy S Plus might have some minor problems running this ROM, since it lacks VSync, which makes the Project Butter unable to work at its best performance. Also, when taking panorama photos you will notice some glitches.
If you want to install this custom ROM successfully, you will first have to read the guidelines below:
- Install the zip file of SmoothieJB ROM only on the Galaxy S Plus model number I9001. Don’t try to flash it on any other Android device as that might brick the phone.
- Your phone should be rooted and running CWM Recovery image. Without these you cannot complete the installation of this new custom ROM.
- Use the ClockworkMod Recovery image to create a full NANDROID backup of your currently installed ROM. This will be a restore point for your device.
- If you want, you can save a list of installed applications and you can also create backups of your SMS, Call Logs and APN Internet Settings using these Android utilities: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. Some of these tools will ask you for root access and you should grant it.
- Sync your Gmail with your Contacts data.
- Enable USB debugging option from the Development options.
- Charge the device’s battery so that it won’t power off during the SmoothieJB custom ROM installation process.
- We cannot be held responsible in case you brick your phone nor in case you lose any important data during the update.
- Read the entire tutorial and make sure that you don’t skip any steps.
These were all the guidelines you had to read prior to installing the new Android 4.1.2 custom ROM on your smartphone.
How to flash SmoothieJB Android 4.1.2 Custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy S Plus I9001:
- Download the SmoothieJB ROM zip from HERE or HERE. Save the file on your PC desktop screen and don’t extract its contents.
- Download the Gapps for this ROM from HERE. Don’t unzip. This is the zip that contains all the Google Applications your phone needs.
- Now connect your smartphone to your PC using the USB data cable.
- Move the SmoothieJB ROM and Gapps zips on the phone’s internal SD card. Disconnect the phone from PC when the files are transferred successfully.
- Power off the Galaxy S Plus now.
- Boot it into CWM Recovery mode by pressing at the same time Volume Up and Power. When the Android box icon appears you should press Menu key and the phone will enter CWM Recovery mode.
- If you don’t have a NANDROID backup of your current ROM, then you should use the ‘backup and restore’ option to make one. If you already have one, then you can skip this step.
- Next, select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm this process.
- Select ‘install zip from SD card’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the SmoothieJB custom ROM zip and install it.
- After the ROM is installed successfully you should select once again ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Now find the Gapps zip and confirm its installation.
- When the Google Apps zip has been installed you have to select ‘Advanced’ option from the Recovery menu. After that select ‘Fix Permissions’. Get to the next step when done.
- Go Back to the main CWM Recovery screen and then select ‘reboot system now’.
- Your smartphone will now restart and it should complete the first boot process of SmoothieJB Android 4.1.1 in under 10 minutes.
- Enter your Google Account details when you’re seeing the welcome screen.
- Test all functions of this ROM and tell us in comments which is the best one.
NOTE: If the first boot process of this new ROM takes too long to complete, over 10 minutes, then you should power off the device. After that you will need to retry to install the ROM starting with step 6. You should be able to flash the ROM at your second attempt.
If you’re having other problems, then you can ask for more help in comments and we will try to help you.
If you don’t like this new ROM, then you can easily restore your device to its previous status using the ROM backup you created before installing the SmoothieJB custom ROM.