Install SotMax Android 4.1.2 custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300
SotMax custom ROM is based on the Android 4.1.2 XXELKC firmware and, if you’re a power user that likes to test as many ROMs as possible, then you can use this tutorial and learn how to successfully flash this new release on your SGS3 I9300.
This is a custom ROM already rooted, it is also zipaligned and it comes with the Yank and Stock kernel. Multiple tweaks were added to the stock firmware and you shouldn’t see any bloatware within. If you want to install this new custom ROM, you will first need to read the preparation instructions.
Here’s what you need to know before getting to the tutorial:
- Flash this new firmware on the Samsung Galaxy S3 model number I9300. Do not try to install it on any other device.
- Your phone has to be rooted and running a CWM Recovery image. Without these you cannot complete the installation of SotMax JB custom ROM.
- It is recommended for you to create a full NANDROID backup of the ROM that’s currently running on your device. Use CWM Recovery to create one. If you don’t know how to, then you can find instructions in the tutorial guide below.
- If you want to save a list of installed apps or backup SMS, Call Logs and APN Internet Settings, then you can use these tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. Root access is required for some of these utilities.
- Sync your Gmail account with your Contacts so that you won’t lose any saved phone number or contact details.
- Remember that you device’s battery charge level has to be over 50%. This will prevent the device from powering off during the installation.
- Note that we cannot be blamed in case something goes wrong and you cannot boot your device.
- This is a guide for advanced users and you shouldn’t held us responsible if the phone gets bricked in the process.
- Read all the info in the article and don’t skip any steps listed in the tutorial.
Move to the next part of this post to learn how to flash this new Android 4.1.2-based custom ROM on your SGS3 smartphone.
How to flash SotMax Jelly Bean Custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300:
- Download the custom ROM from HERE or HERE. Don’t unzip this file and save it on your PC.
- Connect the SGS3 to your computer via USB cable. Now move the custom ROM zip on the phone’s internal SDcard. Disconnect the device when the file is successfully copied.
- Power off your Galaxy S3.
- Boot it into CWM Recovery mode. It can be done if you press at the same time Volume UP, Home and Power buttons. When the screen flickers you can release the buttons.
- When you see the main CWM Recovery menu and you don’t have a backup of your current ROM, then you need to select ‘backup and restore’. Confirm the creation of such backup file. If you already have made one before this step, skip this action.
- Next, select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
- Now, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the SotMax Android 4.1.2 custom ROM zip and confirm that you want to install it.
- Return to the main recovery menu and then you need to select ‘reboot system now’.
- The SotMax first boot process will now start and it shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes to complete.
- When the boot is complete you will be taken to the welcoming screen of this new ROM. Enter your Google Account details.
- Test the SotMax Android 4.1.2 custom ROM and then tell us in comments which are your favorite new features.
These were all the steps that you had to take and you can close this guide.
Remember that in case you don’t like this new release, then you can use CWM Recovery and restore your device to its previous ROM using the backup file you’ve created before getting to this tutorial. For any questions use the comments section below.