A new custom ROM has been launched for the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100 and it is based on the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS. It’s name is SuperNexus 2.0 build 3 and you can learn how to successfully flash it on your device using this tutorial.
SuperNexus 2.0 Jelly Bean custom ROM has the following features: Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean AOSP stock, no bloatware, fully deodexed, zipaligned, rooted with SuperSU, BusyBox, init.d support, rsync support, latest CyanogenMod kernel included, userinit support, Bash and nano Suppoer, Native SIP/ VOIP support, OpenSSH Support, HSPA+ Support, Open VPN support, EXT4 file system optimizations, Galaxy S3 device settings is present as an application. There are tons of other tweaks and improvements added for this device.
In order to make sure that you successfully flash this custom ROM on your device then you should read these guidelines first:
- this tutorial will work only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100. Don’t attempt to flash these files on any other smartphones.
- your device has to be rooted and running a custom Recovery image. We’re using the CWM Recovery but you can also use the TWRP Recovery.
- Use the custom Recovery mode and create a NANDROID backup of your current ROM. This will create a restore point for your smartphone and you can use it in case the Galaxy S2 doesn’t boot with this new ROM.
- The ‘how-to’ guide will have to apply the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and you will see that the /system partition will be removed. Create backups of SMS, Call Logs and other similar data using these files: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. Grant root for those applications that require it.
- Sync all your Contacts data with your Gmail account. It is the account that you’ve assigned as the default one for your device.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery is fully charged before starting the updating process.
- This is a guide for advanced Android users and you shouldn’t attempt to install any custom ROMs in case you don’t know what you’re doing. Read the entire post and don’t blame us in case something goes wrong and you brick the device in the process or you lose any important data.
These were all the guidelines that you had to go over before getting to the tutorial. In case you have any problems completing the installation of this new ROM then you can ask for more help in comments. Make sure that you won’t skip any steps in the process.
How to flash SuperNexus 2.0 Jelly Bean Build 3 Custom ROM for the Galaxy S2 I9100:
- Download the SuperNexus ROM from HERE.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.2.2 ROMs from HERE.
- Connect your I9100 SGS2 phone to your computer after the files are downloaded successfully. After that you should move those files to the phone’s internal SDcard. Disconnect the phone from PC when the files are moved with success.
- Power off the phone.
- Boot the SGS2 into CWM Recovery mode. You can use TWRP Recovery mode, as the instructions are very similar to the CWM ones.
- Select ‘backup and restore’ option and create a NANDROID backup of the current ROM. This will set a restore point for your device and you can use it in case something goes wrong and you can’t boot your phone with the new ROM. Return to the main menu of the CWM Recovery mode when you’re done.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the SuperNexus 2.0 ROM zip and confirm that you want to install it.
- After the new ROM installation process is complete you will have to select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ again. Find the Gapps zip and install it.
- That’s it, when both files have been successfully flashed you can return to the min main of the Custom Recovery mode. Select ‘reboot system now’.
- The first boot process of the SuperNexus 2.0 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes to complete. Enter your Google Account credentials when the phone boots into normal mode.
- Test the new ROM and tell us in comments which are its best features.
These were all the steps that you had to take. Now you can simply use the new ROM.
Note: in case the first boot process doesn’t complete after 5 minutes or the device enters a boot loop, then you will have to switch off the phone completely. Now, repeat the entire tutorial once again and eventually you will manage to flash the new SuperNexus ROM, but make sure that you won’t skip any steps that I have listed above.
If you can’t complete the install, then you can easily use the Recovery mode and restore the Nandroid backup of your previous ROM.