Early we’ve posted an article that taught you how to update your Xperia Arc device to a new and official Gingerbread firmware build. Also, recently, Sony released a statement which said that the Ice Cream Sandwich will be rolled-out in mid-April or some time later. However, the same ICS firmware has been leaked right from the companies’ servers and now you can learn how to apply it on your device by reading the tutorial guide listed in this new article.
Remember that this is a leaked version and it has not been pushed out by Sony, so you’re installing it on your own risk. DooMLoRD from XDA, created a pre-rooted pack that will help you install the new ICS firmware on your Xperia Arc. It will work only the model version LT15i and do not event think about installing it on different smartphones because it won’t work or, if it works, it might brick the phone. Before we can start installing the leaked ICS, you need to read the preparation info listed below:
- try to backup all the important data files stored on your Xperia Arc by moving them to your phone’s internal SD Card. Another method is to move them on your PC using the phone’s USB data connection cable.
- charge your phone’s battery until it reaches over 75% power levels. This will prevent it from discharging during the ICS firmware installation.
- If you wish to save the text messages you will need to use the SMS Backup & restore application. To save call logs info you will need to use the Call Logs Backup & Restore app.
- the contacts stored on your phone can be synced with your Gmail account and in this way you won’t lose them.
- make sure that your Xperia Arc is updated to 4.0.2.A.0.62 firmware. Other versions don’t support this ICS leaked firmware.
- enable USB debugging mode option.
- disable all the antimalware applications currently installed on your Xperia Arc.
- the phone’s bootloader has to be unlocked. If yours isn’t, then you should follow the instructions listed on this post here. It is Sony’s official guide.
- ADB should be installed on your computer.
If you fulfill all the requirements listed above, then you can move to the tutorial guide below. Please note that we cannot be held responsible in case something goes wrong during the installation of the ICS leaked firmware for Xperia Arc.
How to install leaked ICS 4.0 firmware on your Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc:
- Download the custom ROM ICS firmware zip from here.
- Now you need to download these files: Application cleaner zip package / Google Apps zip package.
- Move all three downloaded zip files on your phones’ SD Card.
- Now you need to download the kernel files needed to flash the custom ROM firmware from here. Save it on your PC.
- Download ‘fastboot’ zip file from here.
- Extract the contents of ‘fastboot’ zip file on a separate directory on your PC. It should show 4 files.
- Take the file you downloaded at step 4 and put it into the folder created at step 6. Now, the fastboot directory will feature 5 different files.
- Connect your Xperia Arc to your PC by first connecting the USB into your PC, then press and hold your phone’s ‘back’ key and then, while the ‘back’ button is pressed you need to connect the phone to the PC.
- Launch Command Prompt on your computer.
- When in Command Prompt you will need to enter the commands listed below. This will flash the kernel. Press Enter key after each command line typed.
- cd C:\Fastboot
- fastboot flash boot ARC-ICS-562-DooMLoRD-Advanced-Stock-v01-boot.img
I hope that the steps above helped you install the new firmware update for your smartphone. In case you couldn’t manage to install all the files or the update wasn’t completed successfully then please let us know by posting in the below comments field.