A custom recovery image can be extremely important especially when you are looking forward in powering up the performances of your phone. The capabilities that comes with such a tool are numerous (we will talk about this topic a little bit later) so if you want to take full advantage of your smartphone you must install it on your device. That’s why, during the following step by step guide, I will be showing you in how to install the touch TWRP custom recovery on a Samsung Galaxy S Advance, model number I9070, handset.
This is a complex operation though, so you must read all the lines from below; don’t hurry up and head to the proper steps as you might mess things up. We will be checking in which the pre requisites are along with other relevant aspects, so it’s necessarily for you to be patience and complete each indication. But before we begin, you must know that the installation of the touch TWRP recovery on your Advance isn’t a procedure provided by Samsung, so the mentioned company has nothing to do with what you are about to do.
Now, like any other custom recovery image, the TWRP can be used for performing different tasks with and on your phone. You can apply updates, make backups, perform a wipe and complete maintenance and optimization operations for your Galaxy S Advance. You can consider the recovery image like a “bridge” between you and the phone internal system, meaning that it will offer you access to the same. What is special about this version of TWRP consists in the fact that you will enjoy a touch experience; you will not have to use the Volume keys for selecting the options, you just have to tap on the screen for selecting your desired option.
But for being able to get and flash this tool, you need to first root your smartphone. The TWRP can be used only on an unchained OS and the root access will provide it. Therefore, go and root the SGS Advance (use the link) and then return and resume the next steps. As you will see, by rooting, the warranty will get void. If you will want the warranty back, then you will have to downgrade to the stock ROM (in case you install a custom firmware) or you will need to update to an official software released by Samsung especially for your S Advance.
Anyway, as you will see during the steps, for installing the TWRP on the Galaxy S Advance, you will have to use Odin. This program was especially designed for this type of operations, so you have nothing to worry about. Furthermore, by using the tool, your work will be easier and simplified. You will learn how to use it at the right moment as now we should take care of other things. A backup process must be completed because the data might get corrupted. I am referring to the one that is saved on the internal storage memory; the SD card will not be affected. For making your job easier I have listed some backup tips:
- You can use SMS backup apps for saving the text messages from your phone.
- Also, you can download call log backup and restore apps.
- If you need to backup the contacts, then you will have to learn how to sync with Google.
- If you consider it necessarily, then you can learn how to backup the Internet settings.
- Other files, like images or videos can be saved by using a computer or a SD card.
After taking care of your personal info, you should ensure that you can use a Windows running computer with internet connection enabled as you will have to download some files on it. The phone and its USB cord should also be near you. Then, on the computer you will use and on the handset I recommend you to deactivate the Firewall and antivirus protection as these tools are usually interfering with our work. Next, enable the USB debugging option and charge the battery of your device. Don’t apply this tutorial for any Android powered device, as it will work only for the Samsung Galaxy S Advance, model number I9070. That being said, you can finally install the TWRP recovery.
How to Install Touch TWRP Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S Advance
- On your computer download the next files.
- Download the TWRP file from here.
- Download Odin.
- Extract both files on the same computer.
- Open Odin.
- Turn off your phone.
- Reboot in download mode.
- For download mode press and hold Volume Down button while powering on.
- In download mode, connect your device with the computer by using its USB cable.
- On Odin you should see the “Added” message displayed.
- Also, the ID:COM option should be yellow.
- If not, re-install the drivers on the PC and re-do the steps.
- Up next, on Odin click on “PDA”.
- Pick the “GT-I9070_GB_TWRP_KERNEL.tar.md5” and then click on “Start”.
- The installation procedure will now begin.
- Don’t make any other changes.
- In the end, on Odin you should see the “Pass” message displayed.
- The handset should reboot automatically; you can remove the USB cord now.
So, that was the easiest way possible for learning how to install the Touch TWRP Recovery on your SGS Advance. You can now look forward in flashing a custom ROM on your device and update the same to Jelly Bean OS, as your phone is prepared for the upgrade operation. Stay close for further guides and check our previous posts for learning how to update your Advance to different ROMs.