Install Tsunami X Android 4.2.2 JB Custom ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S I9000
Galaxy S model number I9000 continues to receive new custom ROMs that are based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. You can use this article to learn how to successfully flash this custom Jelly Bean operating system easily and fast without bricking your device. Read the entire post and apply the changes only if you know what you’re doing.
Tsunami X is based on the AOKP build of Android 4.2.2 and it uses the Semaphore Kernel, which should bring better battery life and reduce lag between menus. Other main features of this new custom ROM are these: Gapps inverted, faster Fix GPS function, Fixed APN, Fixed AOSP keyboard, patch video 720p, big memory patch that uses only up to 404 MB, updated Google applications, titanium backup is included, Theme X selector, Google Music inverted, NOBLOAT, CyanogenMod 1o-based SMS pop-up function, brand new boot animation, multiDPI support, OTA updating function included in the Settings Menu.
Also, it packs several great applications: Nova Launcher, Titanium Backup, Quick Pic, ES File Explorer, MX Player, Notification Weather. Tsunami X v4.6 has been created and released by XDA member and developer, Xlory. In order to make sure that you successfully flash the new custom ROM on your Galaxy S I9000, you will first have to read the preparation guidelines below:
- This guide will work exclusively with the Galaxy S model number I9000. Do not attempt to flash the Tsunami X Jelly Bean ROM on any other Android devices.
- The Galaxy S you’re about to update should be rooted and running a custom ROM recovery.
- Use the CWM / TWRP Recovery mode to create a full NANDROID backup of your current ROM. This will act as a restore system file and you can use it in case the new Update doesn’t boot or you simply don’t like the new Tsunami X Jelly Bean ROM.
- In the tutorial you will find a step that will ask you to wipe data and factory reset the device. That will delete the /system partition and you’ll lose all the installed apps, SMS, Call Logs info. Some of these can be backed up using the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. Root access is require for some of these tools.
- You should also sync the People / Contacts app data with your Gmail account. It will save all the saved phone numbers and other contact data directly to your Google Account.
- Enable the USB debugging option from the Developer Options menu.
- This guide is for advanced Android users and you shouldn’t attempt to use it in case you don’t know what you’re doing. Use the comments section to ask for extra help.
- Read the entire post and make sure that you won’t skip any steps listed below.
Now that you’ve read all of the above guidelines, you can continue to the tutorial guide and learn how to flash a custom ROM for your I9000 phone.
How to install Tsunami X v4.6 Jelly Bean custom ROM for the Galaxy S I9000:
- Download the Tsunami X JB ROM from HERE. Save the file on your PC.
- Download Gapps zip for the Android 4.2.2 Custom ROMs from HERE. This file will need to be flashed so that you’ll get the latest Google-based applications for you Galaxy S.
- Connect the Galaxy S to your computer when the files are downloaded completely. Now move both Tsunami X ROM and Gapps files on to the phone’s internal SDcard without extract the zip contents. After the transfer is complete you should disconnect the phone from PC.
- Power off the Galaxy S.
- Boot it into CWM Recovery mode. Press Volume Up, Home and Power buttons at the same time until the screen powers ON. NOTE: If you have TWRP Recovery installed instead of CWM, then you can use that one, as the instructions listed below are very similar and you will manage to complete the ROM install process.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm that you want to wipe all data from the /system partition.
- Now, select ‘install zip from sdcard’. From the new menu select ‘chose zip from sdcard’. Find the Tsunami X ROM zip and select it for installation. Confirm the process and the install shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes before being completed.
- When the new custom ROM has been flashed with success, you will need to select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Now you have to find the Gapps zip and confirm its installation.
- After both files have been flashed you will need to return to the main menu of the CWM Recovery mode.
- Select ‘reboot system now’.
- Galaxy S I9000 now starts its first boot with the Tsunami X Jelly Bean ROM and this shouldn’t take longer than 5 minutes. Enter the Google Account credentials and take control over your device when the boot is complete.
- Test all the functions of this new ROM and that should be all. You’ve managed to successfully flash the Tsunami X v4.6 custom ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S.
NOTE: If the first boot process takes too long to complete or the SGS2 phone enters into a boot loop, then you will have to remove its battery. After 5 seconds have passed you need to re-insert the battery back into its place and then repeat the entire tutorial starting with step 5. This time you should make sure that you don’t skip any steps that I’ve listed. Make sure to apply step 6 actions.
These were all the instructions that you had to follow in order to successfully install a brand new custom ROM for your Galaxy S device.
If you don’t like Tsunami X Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM then you can reboot into CWM Recovery and then restore the NANDROID backup file of the previous ROM using the ‘backup and restore’ option. If you have any other questions, then you can leave them as comments at the end of this post.