The Motorola Droid RAZR HD with the model number XT926 is the developer edition and it has received the TWRP and CWM Recovery image files. Use the instructions in this post and you will learn how to successfully flash one of these two custom recovery images for your Droid Razr HD. This was possible because of GoClifGo05, an XDA Senior Member.
Installing a custom recovery image on your phone will allow you to flash new custom ROMs and other files that will bring a better Android experience to your Droid RAZR HD. TWRP and CWM Recovery image modes can be used to create ROM backups, install ROMs, Gapps etc. Note that the files listed in this post will work exclusively with the developer edition of Razr HD by Motorola Verizon. Installing one of these two recovery images is easy. However, you should read the instructions below and learn which steps you should take before moving to the tutorial. Consider these to be guidelines that will make sure that you will complete the install process for either ClockworkMod or TWRP recovery modes.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Note that the normal Motorola RAZR HD model number XT925 cannot be used with this guide, as the files listed in this article have been released only for the Verizon Motorola RAZR HD with the model number XT926 Developer Edition. Do not attempt to flash the files on any other smartphone.
- Your phone should be running on an unlocked bootloader.
- Also, make sure that your device is rooted.
- Install Android SDK from HERE. This will install all the drivers your phone needs in order to be recognized by your PC.
- Install ES File Explorer from its dedicated Google Play Store web page.
- Charge the smartphone’s battery so that it won’t power off while you’re flashing one of the custom recovery files.
- Note that we cannot be blamed in case something goes wrong and your device ends up getting bricked in the process. Make sure that you know what you’re doing and that all the above files were installed on your computer and phone respectively.
- Apply all the steps listed in the tutorial. If you’re having trouble completing the install, then you should ask for more help in comments.
These were all the preparation guidelines you had to read and now you have to move to the next part of this post.
How to install CWM / TWRP Recovery images on Verizon Motorola Droid RAZR HD XT 926 Developer Edition:
- First thing that you need to do is to launch the ‘ES File Explorer’ app from your device’s App Drawer. Open its Apps menu then go to Settings, scroll down and click on ‘Root Settings’. Enable the ‘Root Explorer’ and confirm. Grant root access when asked and then you will have to enable the following options: Up to Root and Mount File System. Now get back to the main application screen.
- Press the ‘Up’ button until you reach directories such as ‘cache’, ‘acct’, etc. Open the /system/etc directory. Rename to file ‘Recovery.SH’ to any name you choose.
- Next, go to your PC and download the Fastboot zip from HERE. Extract its contents and save the ‘Fastboot’ folder on your computer desktop.
- Now you should get one of the custom Recovery options. The TWRP recovery is touch-based and more user friendly, while the CWM recovery is somewhat more ‘advanced’. Choose the one that suits you better:
- Download CWM Recovery file from HERE.
- Download TWRP Recovery file from HERE.
- Note that you only need one of these two custom recovery files and not both of them. Download the one that you want to use on your smartphone.
- Power off your Motorola Droid RAZR HD. After that, boot it into BOOT Mode Selection by pressing at the same time these buttons: volume up, volume down and power. Use the volume buttons to select ‘AP Fastboot’ and confirm that you want to load it by pressing the Power button.
- Connect your RAZR HD XT926 device to your PC using the USB cable now. Windows will begin to install the drivers for your PC.
- Go to the ‘Fastboot’ directory you’ve created at step 3. Press ‘Shift’ key and at the same time right-click on your mouse and select the ‘Open command window here’ option from the context menu. Note that you have to right-click on the white empty space in the Fastboot folder.
- Command Prompt will now load and you have to enter the following command lines in it:
- fastboot devices – this command will display the ID of your phone which means that the device has been detected.
- To install CWM Recovery enter this: fastboot flash recovery cw-recovery-vanquish.img
- To install TWRP Recovery enter this: fastboot flash recovery twrp-recovery-vanquish.img
- fastboot reboot-bootloader – this is the cmd line that will restart your device into BOOT Mode Selection Menu again. Go to the next step.
- Select ‘RECOVERY’ and your phone will now reboot into CWM or TWRP Recovery mode. It depends on the one you installed. You can unplug the phone from computer now.
- Test the CWM / TWRP Recovery mode and when you’re done you should select ‘restart’ for the phone to boot into normal mode.
- That is it, you’ve successfully flash a custom recovery image on your device.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the installation of ClockworkMod or TWRP Recovery images on your Verizon Motorola Droid RAZR HD XT926. In case you have any other questions or, in case you cannot complete the tutorial, then you should leave a detailed comment at the end of this post and we will try to offer you a solution to your problems.